christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is gluttony a sin?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

A lot of Christians seem to think that alcohol is inherently evil. However, a lot of Christians apparently (from their appearance) seem to think that gluttony is OK. Is gluttony a sin, or not? If so, then we seem to be treating it like an 'acceptable sin'.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

A lot of Christians seem to think that alcohol is inherently evil. However, a lot of Christians apparently (from their appearance) seem to think that gluttony is OK. Is gluttony a sin, or not? If so, then we seem to be treating it like an 'acceptable sin'.

Interesting question... What do you think Peteeeer? Is gluttony a sin?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,165 posts

It is a sin, yes.   Gluttony is a sin even though the Bible doesn't actually say "gluttony is a sin."   People accuse Christians  of excusing the sin of gluttony while condemning other sins, but the notion that gluttony is sinful doesn't actually come from the the Bible.  what the Bible DOES say is that the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty (Prov.23:21)

There is a list of "seven deadly sins" that is not in the Bible and gluttony is on the list even though the Bible doesn't expressly say "gluttony is a sin."

Gluttony is a sin because of it self-destructive character, per  the Proverbs passage.  Overeating is a lack of discipline and poor stewardship of the temple of the Holy Spirit.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,880 posts

It's about as destructive as living in LA with all the bad air.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,896 posts

I think it is wrong to assume that based on their appearance, that every fat person is a glutton. Health issues can cause weight gain no matter what someone does. Certain medications cause someone to balloon out in appearance too without them being gluttons. A handicapped person who cannot get exercise will get fat without being a glutton. To judge someone harshly like that based on appearance is not Christlike. 

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Amen Sheba!!!,

Well said!

~~~MISS~~~

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

Here's some passages I found when looking at this topic... Feel free to look at them in context of the verses before and after.

Deuteronomy 21:20

And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’

Proverbs 23:20-21

Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Luke 7:33-35
For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

Romans 13:14
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Philippians 3:18-19

For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.

1 Corinthians 8:9

But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.

1 Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

God bless,

GE

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

I think it is wrong to assume that based on their appearance, that every fat person is a glutton. Health issues can cause weight gain no matter what someone does. Certain medications cause someone to balloon out in appearance too without them being gluttons. A handicapped person who cannot get exercise will get fat without being a glutton. To judge someone harshly like that based on appearance is not Christlike. 

I'm talking about those without those 'issues'. Also, when does being in a wheelchair make you fat? If that was true, then everyone in a wheelchair would be fat.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,896 posts

I'm talking about those without those 'issues'. Also, when does being in a wheelchair make you fat? If that was true, then everyone in a wheelchair would be fat.

Not every handicapped person is in a wheelchair. Some who have severe issues with walking, bad knees or hip and can barely walk etc can still gain a lot of weight without being a glutton. To judge them as sinful based on appearance is wrong according to the bible. 

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Not every handicapped person is in a wheelchair. Some who have severe issues with walking, bad knees or hip and can barely walk etc can still gain a lot of weight without being a glutton. To judge them as sinful based on appearance is wrong according to the bible. 

But why is it that some gain weight being in a wheelchair, and others don't? What about those who are perfectly normal, yet they are excessively overweight?

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,896 posts

But why is it that some gain weight being in a wheelchair, and others don't? What about those who are perfectly normal, yet they are excessively overweight?

Many medical conditions that you cannot see can contribute to that. For instance pcos or someone using prednisone or any other corticosteroid. There are many other examples too. 

There are plenty of people who are gluttons without being overweight. The definition of glutton is: an excessively greedy eater. Someone who pigs out at buffets but isnt fat could easily be defined as a glutton. Would you call them gluttons? Or just fat people?

The bible tells us to judge righteous judgment and not by appearance. By saying that every fat person is a glutton, you are judging by appearance, judging their hearts, without knowing why they are fat. 

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

peteeer,

Sheba makes a very valid point!

I will add this to what Sheba said....

All to often overweight people eat very little and have tried every "diet" under the sun with out success,i'm going to explain this to you if you don't mind....

they see food as the enemy,so less food should equal weight loss right?

WRONG!!

By denying themselves food they have shut down their metabolism,the body's natural responce to this is to "Store" this food as fat to stave off the starvation that it perceives is going on.

You can't tell a book by it's cover...EVER!

WE don't know what's going on in any persons life..so to judge is so incrediably UNFAIR!

How can you judge any thing IF You don't have all the fact's PEROID.

GOD and GOD alone know's what happened to cause what you think you are seeing....AND ONLY GOD KNOWS What it's gonna take to help any person in any given situation.

Our job is to LOVE GOD and LOVE PEOPLE.

OUR LORD GAVE US 2 COMMANDS.

peteeer, I'm not yelling at you,I used the caps for emphasis only.

My Brother the only thing that we are to do is love people as GOD LOVES THEM.

~~~MISS~~~

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

Good points. I have relatives who have health challenges and are what would be considered obese. Yet they don't over eat.

On the other hand I have relatives who would be considered obese who have health challenges and still live life as if they didn't. Their lifestyle choices are very poor. They eat whatever they want and don't exercise even though they could. They don't listen to their doctors, friends, or loved ones.

There are people who eat well and excercise... Their bodies allow them to maintain a healthy weight or BMI see this link.

Then too there's people who can eat whatever they want (and often don't excercise) and not gain much weight. In extreme cases they have a high motabolism and have to work to KEEP ON  (maintain) their weight.

You can't tell what someone is going through simply looking at them. ;)

God bless,

GE

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

It is interesting that people think that drinking alcohol is evil. Yet many people don't eat well or excercise. But not everyone that is overweight or obese is a gultton. Can we agree?

I do see what you mean though. People will harp on alcohol, homosexuality, abortion, etc. but totally overlook gluttony, gossip, pride, etc. They make their church leaders out to be idols or celebrities. Some are patriotic to the point of having church services specifically for national holidays (in the U.S. for example Memorial Day or Independence Day, etc)... Is this where you are coming from Peteeer?

God bless,

GE

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts
Family Pray for me in this area Please! As I have lost some discipline I once had... I relaxed!
The Lord says:
James 4:10
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
NKJV

So in humility by confession publicly I tell you I need your prayers so I may regain the discipline
and be more glorifying to our Lord! thank you... Love, Steven

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,165 posts

People rationalize sin.  People who are gay can rationalize it away so that in their mind it is not a sin.  People who smoke can rationalize it away too.  You can take anything you are doing no matter how self-destructive it is, and even if the Bible says it is a sin, and rationalize it away in your mind so that  the person down the street who gossips is sinning but I can toke on MJ and it is okay 'cause the Bible doesn't mention MJ. 

It's always the same old dog and pony show with people. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,485 posts

Amen~!

And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee. Exodus 23:5

More Gravy

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10

Please

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Yes it's a sin. We must eat or we'll die. Eat too much and you'll die too. Especially if you have diabetes. Some nationalities actually teach themselves to be gluttons. This is 1 reason it's so hard to control. Many of us also eat when we're depressed. It's one of the hardest sin's to overcome. It's actually an addiction.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,896 posts

Yes it's a sin. We must eat or we'll die. Eat too much and you'll die too. Especially if you have diabetes. Some nationalities actually teach themselves to be gluttons. This is 1 reason it's so hard to control. Many of us also eat when we're depressed. It's one of the hardest sin's to overcome. It's actually an addiction.

I crochet snowflakes when Im depressed. I would be in big trouble if I ate when I am depressed lol.

Peteeeer

Peteeeer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

It is interesting that people think that drinking alcohol is evil. Yet many people don't eat well or excercise. But not everyone that is overweight or obese is a gultton. Can we agree?

I do see what you mean though. People will harp on alcohol, homosexuality, abortion, etc. but totally overlook gluttony, gossip, pride, etc. They make their church leaders out to be idols or celebrities. Some are patriotic to the point of having church services specifically for national holidays (in the U.S. for example Memorial Day or Independence Day, etc)... Is this where you are coming from Peteeer?

God bless,

GE

Yes finally someone gets my point!

I am NOT talking about those who have some hormonal issues or are on pharmaceuticals. I AM talking about (and it is perfectly reasonable to assume these people exist), those who are PERFECTLY NORMAL and CAN lose weight if they just tried. Also, in relation to those who are skinny, yet eat whatever they want and eat a load of rubbish food, they are also not looking after themselves. 

BOTTOM LINE: I have come across lots of hypocritical, self-righteous, 'do good' Christians, who think that being tee-total makes them so awesome and better than others, however they don't mind being overweight. Far too many Christians are over weight who could be a much healthier weight if they just exercised self control... and exercised. Just looks bad to non-believers when you can't be bothered to look after yourself. 

P.S - PLEASE please please can nobody bring up some irrelevant medical condition again that one may have that causes them to gain weight. That is a different issue.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network