christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

News Stories Closed Without Discussion

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

This is more or less just a question for those in the know, not a complaint.  In the past, news stories would be posted, and things of interest would be commented on.  Now, most of the threads are closed, with no opportunity to say anything about them.  I am just wondering why the change in policy, and has anyone else noticed this change besides me? 

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

As far as I know George is working on a new way to present news.

From what I understand he has not made any decision as to if it will continue in this form, or be changed.

Lets keep George in our prayers for all the work he does keeping Worthy running smoothly. 

You can reply on the news topics by clicking the link. 

See bottom of the news thread "Note: While this is 'locked' for comments, comments can be made on the article page by clicking the full article link. "

Hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,503 posts
You can coment on them if you read the full
story. And it is handy to share them on facebook with just one click. Still deciding if I like better. I don't see a lot of us commenting on them though.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,747 posts

I personally think its squelching comments though, so I dont care for it. I have debated posting some things a second time just to get conversations started. I havent found one of them that Ive wanted to discuss in any length tho.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,807 posts

We get into some pretty heated discussions in the news and political sections, so I figured that is why they locked all of the threads.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts

I found a few news items that were definitely worth discussing, so I was annoyed when I couldn't reply. I also think that if you reply to a news item, it bumps the thread up so it attracts the attention of others. I find myself having to post my own news items now (not that I didn't before).

I know that we can click on the link and comment, but it's not the same. We don't have the same names, plus we're commenting alongside other people who are not members of Worthy. I can do that anyway - there are plenty of news sites that I sometimes comment on.

The news is an extremely valuable tool for us. It's one thing sitting in our own little bubble discussing scripture, hobbies and eschatology, but as Christians we should be observing the World around us. We're approaching the End Times and we need to discuss current affairs and give our own take on it. I'm a newshound anyway and every time I find a news item it makes sense to me, even if it is horrible news because it just provides documentary evidence for the fall and the struggle between good and evil that is going on.

I know these discussions can get heated, but so can all the other discussions that we have in all the other forums.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,996 posts

Many News Reports Are Tracked By The Nations They Ratted Out

And Posting To "Them" With Love

And With The Gospel Truth

Is The Opportunity

Of A Life

Time

Yet Some Of Our Dear Posters Are Not Aware

Worthy Is A "HOT HOT" Mission Field

So They Will Debate

Or Will Chastise The Hateful Sinners

And Thereby Defeat One Reason For Worthy News (The Other Is Prayer)

As I See It

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

I realize you can post by clicking on the full story, however, I wish they were not locked myself. It would be nice to be able to discuss something-and then be able to return to the thread sometime later and continue the discussion-without having to open yet another link. I realize things occasionally get hot-but they will get hot regardless of whether your jumping through hoops to comment or debating it in another section of the forum. A suggestion is, and I realize weve all-me included lost our temper and said something we didn't mean, perhaps if we worked better at saying hey that offended me, and the other person apologizing and working it out, or and this has happenned-I said something that I didn't realize was offensive to anyone, only to have the post removed, and nothing said to me. Well, how am I supposed to correct what I did wrong, if I didn't know I did it wrong the first time? Im just going to go and make the same mistake again. anyway, just my .02 cents.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,996 posts

Always Point To Jesus

And Stay In Prayer

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

that doesnt really answer the question. Theres some cultural stuff-that ive had happen, Ill say something here to a local, in a certain way, and they take it just fine. I say it to someone from back east, and all the sudden theyre offended and I have no clue why. Its not that Im trying to be unchristlike-its just peoples definition of offensive changes from place to place, and its hard to know that, especially on a forum unless someone says hey, thats not funny. . .

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

I would personally like to see it where we could reply directly in the threads, but I figured there was a reason for the change. 

George

George

Steward

• Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

I changed it already :)  However, the problem that I was trying to solve was instead of 2 or 3 different discussions on the same story -- one in Facebook, one on the forums, and one on Worthy News -- it was moderating 3 different locations -- comments made on the SAME STORY.  I was trying to save myself some time by forcing everyone to post at ONE location.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Thanks Brother George, I'm sure you had your reasons, or were trying something new.  I saw some articles I wanted to reply to, but couldn't and I didn't know if it would have been appropriate for me to repost the article in a new thread and comment on it.  I didn't want to undermine what you were experimenting with.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,503 posts

I did like the posting on facebook thing

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

I changed it already :)  However, the problem that I was trying to solve was instead of 2 or 3 different discussions on the same story -- one in Facebook, one on the forums, and one on Worthy News -- it was moderating 3 different locations -- comments made on the SAME STORY.  I was trying to save myself some time by forcing everyone to post at ONE location.

I can understand that, only thing is I dont keep up with the facebook page nor do I usually discuss in worthy news lol. though, on that note out of curiousity, why does worthy news sometimes post the same story 2-3 times?

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Just wanted to add that there are some of us who do not have a Facebook account and don't keep up on any of that. Speaking for myself: I simply do not have the time or desire for an FB account as my time is limited enough already. I also don't comment on the news threads that much because of the time limitation, but the capability was missed.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

Thanks George for restoring it back as it was.  It wasn't that big of a deal, but it is nice to be able to respond directly in the threads when there is a story of interest. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,807 posts

Yes, thanks George!   Well, I guess this thread should be closed as it is no longer relevant.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

[Problem resolved by George. :thumbsup:  Thread now locked. Thank you to all who participated. ]

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network