christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another Take On Matthew 7:1,2

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,823 posts

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with the Lord about a specific situation I was dealing with, that dealt with other people's sins.  Out of nowhere, this scripture was given to me.  Of course, I am very familiar with it.  I have read it more times than I can number, and even preached messages using it and directly dealing with it, but I was shown something I hadn't noticed before.  Portions of the Sermon on the Mount are dealing with the eternal judgment, and some things are dealing with our relationship with others.  An example of our relationship with others would be settling civil matters before they go to court.  Another would be casting pearls before swine.  I always associated this passage with the eternal judgment, but I don't believe that is what it is speaking of anymore.

JUDGE not, that ye be not judged.

2  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged:  and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

If you look at this as many view it, this is saying that in the same way I judge others, I will be judged of God in the next life.  That means, if you take it to its logical conclusion, that if I judge no one for anything, I won't be judged.  I see the guy next door beating his wife, and I pass no judgment on him.  I see the homosexual activists marching in the street, and I make no judgment.  I even see wicked men like Hitler, and make no judgment.  Then I look at that passage, and I am home free in the next life.  As I didn't judge others, I won't be judged, but does that really make sense?  It doesn't to me, but I went along, still thinking this was speaking of the final judgment. 

Now, lets look at this in a more practical light, our relationship with others.  I see my neighbor next door that is living in fornication with his 4 kids, and his mistress on the side.  I don't beat him up for his actions, but show love to him.  I see the homosexual couple, and I don't constantly tell them they are going to hell and shun them.  I show them love.  How will they treat me if they see me do something wrong?  They will likely remember that I didn't attack them, so they won't attack me.  On the other hand, if I am judgmental towards them, if I do something wrong, they are waiting to pounce on me.  The same judgment I used towards them comes back on me.  This passage actually comes up just before we are warned not to "give that which is holy unto the dogs." 

Now, don't get me wrong. I believe in telling people the truth.  If someone asks if something is a sin, I will be honest.  If I am preaching a message, I will pull no punches.  That is my job.  At the same time, there is a difference in being honest, and seeking to attack others, like the man who prayed that prayer telling God how he was thankful he wasn't like those other sinners.  He saw himself as perfect, and everyone else as the worst kind of sinners.  It is a heart attitude.  Yes, we should stand up against sin, but we are warned that if we condemn others, we should be prepared to be judged in the same manner when we mess up. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,493 posts

that is an interesting concept.....   I'm going to have to ponder on that for a while.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,823 posts

that is an interesting concept.....   I'm going to have to ponder on that for a while.

I would be happy to have your input.  When this first came to me, I was driving down the highway, and couldn't look into it right away.  I didn't accept it till I went back and looked at it in the Bible.  It won't bother me if others don't agree.  I just felt like this was revealed to me, and we are told that what is freely given to us, we should freely share with others. 

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,616 posts
Rom 14:22  The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.

If what you approve (do) does not require judgement, you have no reason to judge.

If the above is true, you will not pass judgement, cannot pass judgement on anyone. All you can do is Love and Forgive (while perhaps correcting).

And so you are correct in that you will not be judged if you do not judge others, with the caveat that neither should you have reason to judge yourself.

If you have reason to judge yourself you are living in some sort of sin (however small), and you will be judged.

And we are all sinners.... So.....

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,823 posts

And so you are correct in that you will not be judged if you do not judge others, with the caveat that neither should you have reason to judge yourself.

If you have reason to judge yourself you are living in some sort of sin (however small), and you will be judged.

Good points Fez.  I had to read that a couple of times to figure out what you meant, but I agree. 

BTW, I didn't edit your post because I was trying to twist anything.  It was the latter part that stood out to me. 

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,616 posts

Good points Fez.  I had to read that a couple of times to figure out what you meant, but I agree. 

BTW, I didn't edit your post because I was trying to twist anything.  It was the latter part that stood out to me. 

:cool2:  I had to write it a couple of times to figure out what I meant as well.....

That's why I say that small scripture is very deep...

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,606 posts

Not everything people label as judgement is an actual judgement.  Judgement comes when one does not have all the facts or proof of an action, depending on other witnesses, or it comes without the facts, more of a "gut feeling".  We we witness an action ourselves, are we really judging the action or are we holding it up to scripture to see if what we witnesses was good or bad?  Then again, are we not told in John "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."?  So, the question from me is, what is righteous judgement?

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,823 posts

I suppose what I mean is if I see someone doing something sinful, like being out partying and getting drunk, and they are a professing Christian, and I attack them for their actions, or if I see a man cheating on his wife, and attack him and call him a hypocrite, that opens me up to criticism from those people if they see me doing something sinful.  If on the other hand, I don't judge or attack them, if they see me doing something wrong, they won't be so quick to attack me.  I do have to agree with Fez though.  It would be good if I didn't have sin in my own life.  If there was no sin in my life, there would be nothing to attack me for.  On the other hand, from my experience, people will go out of their way to find something to criticize, even if it isn't really sin, in order to make the person criticizing them feel like a hypocrite to silence them.  If you don't pass judgment on others, you won't likely be judged, at least, not as harshly. 

I do wonder One Light, or anyone else who wants to tackle this question.  How would you react if you saw a professing Christian in open sin?  Would you warn them they are in sin and try to restore them?  Would you criticize them and gossip about them?  Would you do nothing?  Would you just pray for them?  Where do you cross the line and find yourself guilty of wrong doing? Do we have any responsibility to do anything or should we just mind our own business?

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

The way God lead me to understand this is as follows. We are not to try and determine if what another person is doing will effect whether or not they get eternal life. If we do use that kind of judgement on others, then God may use it on us.

But if we see someone we know doing what we are convinced of is sin, sometimes we should tell that person. Not as a condemnation, but more as a "do you know *** is considered a sin". And again it depends on our relationship to that other person. I wouldn't tell anything to a total stranger. But if the person is a fellow church member I might.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,606 posts

James 5:19-20 ensures us that if we can turn another from sin, we have saved them from death.

Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

How to do that is with love and one on one. If all one does is point a find and accuse, a thick wall is built. Approach a brother or sister in love, and they the change that they will be open to correction is far greater. At least, they will hear you out, where love does touch the heart.

Floatingaxe

Floatingaxe

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Not everything people label as judgement is an actual judgement.  Judgement comes when one does not have all the facts or proof of an action, depending on other witnesses, or it comes without the facts, more of a "gut feeling".  We we witness an action ourselves, are we really judging the action or are we holding it up to scripture to see if what we witnesses was good or bad?  Then again, are we not told in John "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."?  So, the question from me is, what is righteous judgement?

Righteous judgment would be a judgment we make based on the word of God and uttered out of a heart that doesn't wrestle with that particular sin, and contains the love of Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus shows that it is good to “judge with righteous judgment” (John 7:24). We should make judgments based on the yardstick of righteousness as revealed in His Word, which looks beyond mere outward appearances, and are made with the right spirit in heart.

When Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged” (Matthew 7:1), we immediately know what kind of judgment He is referring to, there. He cannot mean that we must never make any judgment at all, otherwise we would not be able to fulfill some other scriptural mandates, such as never to allow anyone to deceive us...see Matthew 24:4; Luke 21:8; 2Thessalonians 2:3; Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 2:8. If only God can judge, as many think, then how will we be able to fulfill the apostle John’s command: “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1)?   Far from being wrong, judgment is actually a vital part of the Christian armour!

Christ has placed pastors and teachers into the church precisely to make judgments which will prevent people from being “tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting” (Ephesians 4:14). The judgment which the Lord Jesus forbids in Matthew 7:1 refers to a person who makes a judgment about another person, while he himself is doing the very same thing which he is judging in the other! That is hypocritical judgment, a hypocrisy, which is forbidden by Christ.

The kind of judgment which builds up God’s people by advising them of danger or falsehood is an absolute necessity.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,493 posts

I would be happy to have your input.  When this first came to me, I was driving down the highway, and couldn't look into it right away.  I didn't accept it till I went back and looked at it in the Bible.  It won't bother me if others don't agree.  I just felt like this was revealed to me, and we are told that what is freely given to us, we should freely share with others. 

My initial thought is that if the whole world simply stopped judging, we could all pretty much do whatever we wanted and God would let it go......   that seems to be the face value of the scripture if one considers it pertaining to final judgment.....    and even at Fez's post one would simply not have the conscience to judge himself.  Leading me at least metaphysically to agree with your thoughts....  Many things can keep us from heaven.....  I will have to think more about where judging others fits in.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network