christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How Do You View The Bible?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you view the Bible? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which response best agrees with your opinion.

1. The Bible is the inerrant Word of God. It contains absolute truth. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. The Bible is a collection of messages from early Jewish and Christian leaders. It contains good ideas, but not necessarily the Word of God. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. The Bible is a literary work, nothing more and nothing less. (0 votes [0.00%])

When your views and the Bible's teachings conflict, what do you do?

1. Find a way to make the Bible agree with me. (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Accept that the Bible is right and I am wrong. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Figure that I am right and just misunderstanding the Bible's teachings and shrug it off. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I don't believe the Bible is our final authority, but we are to go by the leading of the Holy Spirit. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Politics, Music, Sports

I am starting this topic and poll question to see how those at WB view the Bible.  Your participation is appreciated in the poll as well as with your comments if you wish to explain your position. 

Wildstar

Wildstar

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

I voted:

The Bible is the inerrant Word of God. It contains absolute truth. 

Accept that the Bible is right and I am wrong. 

I have changed my faith quite a lot.  I don't consider those who hold a monopoly 'on how to believe' are necessarily right. The views I voted are things that I believe 100% in.  I 'accepted the bible is right and that I am wrong' changing my views from standard beliefs people hold to something else.  Which I am 100% confident in at this point.  

I have taken up the view that I am without sin, that praying for forgiveness of sins is contrary to what the bible teaches, Jesus baptism taking the worlds sin, Jesus Cross completely blotting out all sin, the world being without sin, and many other things.  I listed a few of the ones people immediately have something to say.  I am well aware of the responses I get for saying anything of the sort.  It essentially alienated myself from everyone I meet who believe in God.  I don't agree with your faith and you won't agree with mine.  

Anyways just sharing my input!

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Interests:Bible, photography, travel, eBay :), things with engines, marine tropical fish, sailing on dry land, camping, Worthychatting, making things, learning, food lol, browsing the i-net, creating and hosting websites, these are a few of my favorite things.

The Bible is the inerrant Word of God. It contains absolute truth.  Accept that the Bible is right and I am wrong., that is how I voted, it is how all have voted so far. So, this being the case, why do o many here disagree with me? LOL  :mgcheerful: 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

I believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and contains absolute truth, and that if my views conflict with scripture, I accept the Bible is right and I am wrong.  So far it is unanimous, but I know that I have encountered people in various threads that don't agree.  I am curious how the final vote count will wind up. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

I believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and contains absolute truth, and that if my views conflict with scripture, I accept the Bible is right and I am wrong.  So far it is unanimous, but I know that I have encountered people in various threads that don't agree.  I am curious how the final vote count will wind up. 

:thumbsup:

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Interests:Bible, photography, travel, eBay :), things with engines, marine tropical fish, sailing on dry land, camping, Worthychatting, making things, learning, food lol, browsing the i-net, creating and hosting websites, these are a few of my favorite things.

Yes, I am curious too, and also am wondering who will agree with the present trend, that I will think "Wait a minute, he/she doesn't believe that, they have been shown where the bible disagrees with them, and they just think they are right and the Bible is wrong. Those people often love the phrase: "Well, that is YOUR interpretation!"  To which I reply: "No, I did no interpretation, I just restated what the bible said!" LOL

However, I am encouraged by the trend.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings Butero
    I vote the same....".I believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and contains absolute truth, and that if my views conflict with scripture, I accept the Bible is right and I am wrong."

I do think the majority will vote as we did and it is interesting what Omega said:

Wait a minute, he/she doesn't believe that, they have been shown where the bible disagrees with them, and they just think they are right and the Bible is wrong. Those people often love the phrase: "Well, that is YOUR interpretation!"  To which I reply: "No, I did no interpretation, I just restated what the bible said!" LOL       Omegaman

I see & hear that quite often & yet I also see when the shoe is on the other foot.....when one's view is clearly their interpretation and they honestly believe that they are stating what the Bible says & vica versa! Wouldn't you agree that there are many things written in the Bible that do not provide us with enough information to make absolute assertations or determinations and we are left with stipulation? "of our interpretation-LOL   Omega??

With love-in Christ,Kwik  

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

I agree with what you are saying Kwik.  Yes, there are times where one person thinks they are standing on the Bible as absolute truth and another person disagrees with their interpretation.  I get that.  My concern is when people look at what the Bible says, admit it says something, but make excuses why it doesn't matter as they have been shown by God it doesn't apply today or to them.

Something else that concerns me is how people have no conscience about taking a scripture out of context to try to win an argument.  If you really believe the Bible is the Word of God, how can you do that in good conscience.  Just yesterday, I saw someone take a verse that applied to a specific group of people, and edit the verse in such a way as to make it appear it applied to everyone.  The person knew exactly what they were doing.  I don't understand how anyone could do that if they really believe the Bible is the Word of God.  Yes, you may appear to win an argument, but when you know you misused scripture, how did you really win?  If on the inside, you don't really believe it is God's Word, but you only use it to control people, I could understand people doing that.  So again, I am just trying to understand what people are thinking.  I am glad for the positive numbers so far, but I am still skeptical. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts
  • Interests:camping computers
Which Bible?

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,628 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

the Bible is inerrant and unfailing. sometimes the Bible seems to contradict itself. when it does, i have to dig deeper, beyond my own understanding. what i THINK it means isn't always what it DOES mean. and when i disagree with something the Bible says, i accept that God is wiser than i am, and that His reasons figure into a bigger plan than my tiny little brain can even imagine, much less make sense of. i try never to keep God in the little box of my comprehension.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

I agree with what you are saying LadyC.  Sometimes the meaning isn't plain to the degree that everyone comes to the same conclusion.  I just see things that don't add up, if people really believe the Bible is the Word of God.  For one thing, there is a lot of emphasis on this passage being the words of Paul, or one being the words of James, rather than the words of God.  Yes, these men were the human vessels that wrote God's words down, but they are still God's words.  There is the way people will make comments about how the writers were influenced by the prejudices that existed at the time.  That makes sense if you believe they are the words of mere preachers of the gospel, but not if you believe this is the Word of God.  Yes, a man like Paul could be influenced by things that existed in his day, but God couldn't. 

I have seen tv shows about how the Bible was a man-made book that was written to control people.  Of course, I reject that, but I sometimes wonder if others really see it that way, while claiming it is the Word of God.  This is especially true when I see them misuse scripture to win arguments.  If you don't really believe the Bible is the Word of God, this makes sense, as you are using it as a tool to control people.  Why would you fear misusing it?  On the other hand, if you believe it is God's Word, what good does it do to pervert it intentionally, knowing that you will be held accountable for your actions at the final judgment?  I would be scared to do that, but others seem to be just fine with it.  They can't come out and publically admit to not believing the Bible is God's Word or they lose control, but their actions make me wonder. 

Just for the record, I am a true believer.  I believe every word in my Bible are God's words, and I strive to figure out the meaning to live by them.  My objective is to figure out how the early church operated, and how early believers lived, as compared to now, and try to return to the way it was 2000 years ago.  God is the same yesterday, today and forever, regardless of how society has evolved.  At the same time, I see a lot of resistance to such efforts.  I don't know if that is because people are afraid of how the public at large today will react to a return to following scripture according to original intent, that it might not appeal to our modern culture, or if they really don't believe it, but pretend like they do.  I am just going by what I observe taking place.  I hear one thing being spoken when it comes to the Bible, but people's actions often tell me something different.  Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me? 

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,628 posts

i'm with ya most of the way there.... yes, all of scripture is the word of God, but there are some parts of scripture where paul or whomever was addressing specific situations with specific people... for example, the letters to the churches of corinth and ephesus and so on. that's where the issues arise that you and i always disagree on. yes, paul was writing the words that God gave him to write, but they were about what was going on within their church walls at that time in history. God wasn't being influenced by the times, He was addressing (in some instances) the fact that the church was not avoiding the appearance of evil.... and that was directly related to the cultures surrounding them. for instance (dare i even go here with you?) the clothing pertaining to a man. to you that means women wearing pants. to me it does not, because at that time in history men didn't wear pants either. so to me, God was addressing dressing in a way that we might call metrosexual at the least, or transsexual at the worst. women wearing jeans today TO ME does not cross that line any more than an irishman wearing a kilt makes him appear feminine. 

anyway, i really don't want to get into that whole debate again, and i know that's not where you were wanting this thread to go. i went too far with it anyway i suspect. hey, did you get my pm the other day?

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

I got your pm, and just wrote you back a few minutes ago.  Don't worry LadyC, I don't want to turn this thread into a clothing debate.  These are just general observations I have about how people seemingly don't believe the Bible is really the Word of God.  Clothes weren't what was on my mind when I started this thread.  It was about an attitude I have seen.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,628 posts

i understand. i've seen it too in the last week or so. actually, i've seen it many times throughout the years, but i knew the last week's discussions were what was on your mind. :)

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,685 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Debate

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:15-17

Or No

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:21

It's The Gospel Truth

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32

~

As I See It

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

The Bible  contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a Paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given to you in life, will be open in the judgment, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts.

From The Front Of My Gideon New Testament

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,685 posts

Liar Liar

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:10

Truly Truly

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6

~

....I have taken up the view that I am without sin,

that praying for forgiveness of sins

is contrary to what the

bible teaches....

~

Jesus Started It

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Jesus Continues It

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 (ESV)

And Jesus Finishes It

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

IF You

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

But Believe

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

~

Be Blessed Beloved

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Love, Joe

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

I find the Bible to be a story about God, creating a being to share his love and fellowship for eternity. The only thing God called " not good" was for man to be alone, and since we are created in the image of God, all of our feelings we have come from God. He is not like us, we are like him. If it was not good for man to be alone then it was not good for God to be alone. Someone might say, "God is not alone as he has all the Angels to have fellowship with" There is only one problem with that, which is "Angels" are not created in the image of God only man is.

Remember when God was creating all the animals in an attempt to find a help meet for Adam, and none was found. The only way for Adam to have true fellowship is with someone in his own image and kind. So woman was brought forth to be his mate. God can only have true fellowship with someone in his image and kind, so man was created for God to share his feelings and love with for eternity.

This is just my own opinion of how I see the Bible.  :)

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,108 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

I know this is a serious subject, but every time I see this thread and it asking how I view the Bible what comes to mind is.....   "With my glasses"

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

They help me too Other One.  I didn't used to need them, but now reading glasses are a big help. 

Jzyehoshua

Jzyehoshua
  • Members
  • 89 posts

When I see a seeming contradiction I read the text for context, turn on cross references in PowerBible CD, consider all possible alternatives, read commentaries (always liked the Scofield Study Bible III's), Google for potential answers, and there have been cases where some really puzzled me until I prayed and God showed me the answers.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network