Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Split-"What makes a Christian" Should Christians attend Church

61 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Why can't you fellowship with people whom you may not agree with? I attend a Bible study led by an Episcopal pastor. While I don't see eye-to-eye with them on some issues, we are able to fellowship around what we have in common. I don't attend their church, as I am am a Southern Baptist and have my own church, but I have attended services at the Episcopal church on occasion in the past, and it is warm and friendly church. But the point is that it is possible to have fellowship with people that I may not agree with on all areas of theology.

We talk about unity, but use doctrinal differences as a pretext for simply not wanting to attend church, and that is wrong. Unity is not the absence of differences or the absence of diversity among us. Unity is the ability to come together and allow the bonds of fellowship to transcend our differences. You will never find a church that agrees with what you believe right down the line. The question is, are you mature enough to put those differences aside and get plugged into a local fellowship of believers and allow God to use you so that the gifts He has given you to operate?

One thing we tend to forget about Church is that God can use you in far greater ways when you are part of a local assembly than He can if you refuse to plug in. When it comes to ministry, you are stronger when your strengths and gifts are added to the strengths and gifts of that congregation. The money you give to missions through a local congregation does more and reaches more people. Your arms are longer and you are more effective.

It is like the small tributaries that join together to form a mighty unstoppable river. Those little tributaries cannot exert much force, but when they come together they get bigger and stronger until they are like the Miss. River.

There are plenty of reasons to go to church even if you don't agree with every point of that church's theology. Find one that most closely represents the things you believe about Scripture and has traditions that you are comfortable with, be it Baptist, Methodis, Presbyterian, whatever.

Hello Shiloh,

Does this unity you speak of in bolder also apply outside of your church group.

For comparison does it apply on this website?

I suppose a better question would be does this unity apply to all Christians.

Posted · Report post

For those who believe church attendance is a must, which denomination is the correct denomination?

Whichever one you feel believes and practices as closely as possible with how you believe. You won't find any church that you completely agree with on every point, but that is not necessary.

Then what's the point?

If one doesn't agree with what's being taught, what's the point in being there?

Obedience to God and the fearful reminder

Lk 6:38

38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together,

and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, :emot-poke: Now put Jesus coming to us in your reasoning- why would He?

it will be measured back to you." :emot-poke:with the reasoning we use it better be with renewed mind cause the old one will drag us to being useless children of The Lord!

NKJV

Our Father 'IS' able to do all things according to His Good Pleasure! So with a heart

that yearns of Him and The Who of Him... to truly desire Him above all else -God- will

simply provide Himself for that one no matter where they are for He will lead them to

Himself...

So when I go to church I go with a heart of expectation of getting closer to the Beautiful

Son My Lord because He promises me so

Heb 10:25

25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some,

but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

NKJV

Jas 4:8-10

8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners;

and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your

laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the

sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

NKJV

It is with a heart of obedience and expectation that initializes our drawing to God! Love, Steven

Posted · Report post

Hello Shiloh,

Of course it does. . Churches and para-church organizations can work together despite their differences.

Granted, that does not mean we are able to be in unity with those who do not hold to the basic fundamentals of biblical Christianity. I could never find any unity with Mormons or Jevohah's Witnesses or anyone who denies the deity of Jesus, or deines the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture.

Unity has limitations, obviously. There are esssential elements of the faith that cannot and must not be compromised under any circumstances, but there is no reason we cannot find fellowship with those whose peripheral traditions and nonessential beleifs are different than our own.

Posted · Report post

Hello Shiloh,

Of course it does. . Churches and para-church organizations can work together despite their differences.

Granted, that does not mean we are able to be in unity with those who do not hold to the basic fundamentals of biblical Christianity. I could never find any unity with Mormons or Jevohah's Witnesses or anyone who denies the deity of Jesus, or deines the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture.

Unity has limitations, obviously. There are esssential elements of the faith that cannot and must not be compromised under any circumstances, but there is no reason we cannot find fellowship with those whose peripheral traditions and nonessential beleifs are different than our own.

Thank you,

Are the deity of Lord Jesus and inspiration and inerrancy of the bible the only items that hinder unity and if there are more essential items could you please provide for me a list of them so I can be clear.

What exactly are the essential beliefs of Christianity ?

Posted · Report post

if a person is a Christian why would they not want to attend church and meet with other believers there? Why would that fellowship be avoided?

Maybe they had a bad experience(s) there? Maybe they feel that going to a lukewarm church is worse than not going at all? There could be lots of reasons.

I have seen on a number of occasions that rejecting church has to do with a refusal to be accountable or because a person harbors false doctrine and are unwilling to be sharpened by fellow believers.

Or the other way around?

Not only that, but when you are out of fellowship with the Lord, the last place you would want to be is in Church.

I am curious why you automatically assume that not in church = "out of fellowship with the Lord".

Posted · Report post

Hello Shiloh,

Thank you,

Are the deity of Lord Jesus and inspiration and inerrancy of the bible the only items that hinder unity and if there are more essential items could you please provide for me a list of them so I can be clear.

For the purposes of this site, if one does not agree with the Statement of Faith and the TOS, which are there for all to see, I would question why a person would want to be here. Same as attending a church. However we should remember Worthy is not a church, it is a Ministry.

I can understand if a person was seeking the Word, or even attacking it (as do some atheists), why they would want to be here. Or if a person has a heart that is willing to assimilate and learn from others while discussing the Word in a sensible manner.

Posted · Report post

What makes a Christian?

Christ in you, redeemed, foreknown before the foundation of the world. We are redeemed because we were a part (a thought if you will) of Him from the beginning.

Should we attend church?

We desire fellowship. 'Birds of a feather' We are made to worship.

Everyone worships something.

Posted · Report post

Hello Shiloh,

Thank you,

For the purposes of this site, if one does not agree with the Statement of Faith and the TOS, which are there for all to see, I would question why a person would want to be here. Same as attending a church. However we should remember Worthy is not a church, it is a Ministry.

I can understand if a person was seeking the Word, or even attacking it (as do some atheists), why they would want to be here. Or if a person has a heart that is willing to assimilate and learn from others while discussing the Word in a sensible manner.

Hello fez,

I missed this I think.

My question was not about the purposes of this site or why a person would attend any particular church.

Posted · Report post

Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Romans 5:8-10, "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

Romans 10:9-10, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Posted · Report post

Hello Shiloh,

Either you are born of God or not ->depending on the faith formed in you by Scripture or other!

Making you family or not... Love, Steven

Posted · Report post

Its really about how much you want to know about the one who created everything, I would say much like the great sinner loves Jesus more than the small sinner, someone who craves the meat of learning the bible is someone who loves God alot, someone who really don't care what the bible teaches.......well why wouldn't they care is a bigger question

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0