christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Prophecy of Genesis

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

There is a specific verse in Genesis 6:3

And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive[a] with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

I see this verse often quoted being used in various parts of the Bible to make ones point on this particular verse of. Some use this as an example that Gods judgment will be quicken or shortened in time. I seen one use this God will give men 100 more years that they can make things right with God.

I would like to share what I believe of this particular verse Genesis 6:3

And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive[a] with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

I believe this verse only pertains to that prophecy of Noah’s flood only. It is not a Prophecy or any direction to other part of Bible teaching. It is only an emphasis what God said in these particular days of times. Because we see that God had looked upon the Earth and seen how wicked things had become. Because of the wicked God seen on the Earth is why God said in this verse my Spirit will not always strive with men. For they live in the flesh. And yet their days shall be 120 years. God is actually speaking a literal 120 years. God spoke these words about the time Noah was about 480 years old.  How did I conclude Noah’s age in this? Noah’s age was not mentioned here.

Well at the end of Genesis chapter five it tell us when Noah was five hundred years of age he had begotten Shem, Ham and Japheth his 3 Sons. So we know it was after five hundred something years Noah had at least at that point all his sons had been born.  

In Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Noah is a righteous man in the eyes of which God finds favor in him. God made the statement in Genesis 6:3 before He called out to Noah who was about 380 years old. Where is the answer to these 120 years? This has to do with Noah’s flood itself. So now we need to read the remainder of chapter six and go into chapter 7.  Because now we read in chapter 7 that Noah was 600 years old when he went on the Ark. He was this age when the waters fell upon the Earth. So wind this back to Genesis 6:3 and yet His days shall be 120 years. So the Lord was saying in 120 years God would bring the Great flood upon the world to destroy this wicked generation of Noah’s day people. And we know Noah was about 480 became 600 minus 120 is 480 Noah’s age. So I believe Genesis 6:3 only is a prophecy of the Great flood that occurs in chapter 7. It is in chapter 7 everything is destroyed on the Earth except Noah and his family. Plus all the animals Noah was told to put in the Ark. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Did you know that Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died and Shem lived 35 years longer than Abraham???

donfish06

donfish06

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Did you know that Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died and Shem lived 35 years longer than Abraham???

It would be so neat to see a timeline of all dates in the Bible.

ProphecyKid

ProphecyKid
  • Members
  • 68 posts

There is a specific verse in Genesis 6:3

I see this verse often quoted being used in various parts of the Bible to make ones point on this particular verse of. Some use this as an example that Gods judgment will be quicken or shortened in time. I seen one use this God will give men 100 more years that they can make things right with God.

I would like to share what I believe of this particular verse Genesis 6:3

I believe this verse only pertains to that prophecy of Noah’s flood only. It is not a Prophecy or any direction to other part of Bible teaching. It is only an emphasis what God said in these particular days of times. Because we see that God had looked upon the Earth and seen how wicked things had become. Because of the wicked God seen on the Earth is why God said in this verse my Spirit will not always strive with men. For they live in the flesh. And yet their days shall be 120 years. God is actually speaking a literal 120 years. God spoke these words about the time Noah was about 480 years old.  How did I conclude Noah’s age in this? Noah’s age was not mentioned here.

Well at the end of Genesis chapter five it tell us when Noah was five hundred years of age he had begotten Shem, Ham and Japheth his 3 Sons. So we know it was after five hundred something years Noah had at least at that point all his sons had been born.  

In Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Noah is a righteous man in the eyes of which God finds favor in him. God made the statement in Genesis 6:3 before He called out to Noah who was about 380 years old. Where is the answer to these 120 years? This has to do with Noah’s flood itself. So now we need to read the remainder of chapter six and go into chapter 7.  Because now we read in chapter 7 that Noah was 600 years old when he went on the Ark. He was this age when the waters fell upon the Earth. So wind this back to Genesis 6:3 and yet His days shall be 120 years. So the Lord was saying in 120 years God would bring the Great flood upon the world to destroy this wicked generation of Noah’s day people. And we know Noah was about 480 became 600 minus 120 is 480 Noah’s age. So I believe Genesis 6:3 only is a prophecy of the Great flood that occurs in chapter 7. It is in chapter 7 everything is destroyed on the Earth except Noah and his family. Plus all the animals Noah was told to put in the Ark.

How I understand it, and this could be easily verified by looking at the ages that men lived after the flood, the average lifespan of men was reduced to 120 years. Abraham, Moses all of these guys lived to around 120 years. Then later on Danielle's time, man's average lifespan was further reduced to 70 years. 

ENOCH2010

ENOCH2010

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

The 120 years was the amount of time,God allowed until the flood, it wasn't a mans lifespan.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

I've played around with some of the births and deaths and when we go on vacation in January I'll work on them some more.

http://sam.evans.org/historylog.xls

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

I use to think it meant 120 years as in we're promised 120 years to live.  But that doesn't seem to make sense because of the ages then and the ages now.  What makes most sense is they had 120 years before the flood would come.  Here's from the study Bible that seems the most likely explanation.

6:3 My Spirit. See note 1:2.

abide in. The Hebrew word is difficult to translate. Some scholars relate it to a term meaning “rule” or “judge,” while ancient translators understood it to mean “remain” or “contend” (text note). Either way, the sentence points to the withdrawal of God’s life-giving Spirit (1:2 note).

120 years. Probably the span of time between this proclamation and the Flood (5:32; 7:6). It may refer to an individual’s life span, but that interpretation seems contradicted by the age of the postdiluvians who at first lived much longer (Gen. 11) and then much less (Ps. 90:10).

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Blessings Gliding Wings,

Very interesting OP & it seems this has always been a topic of controversy.....whether the 120yrs given to man was the time left for man to repent before the great flood or mans diminished lifespan ,we do know that after the flood (other than Noahs 3 sons)no one lived beyond 120yrs and throughout time mans average life expectancy seems to have gotten shorter & shorter,I believe this is attributed to the cursed ground caused by the fall of man,resulting in the 70-80yrs we see in Psalms 90

The average life expectancy today is still 70-80yrs except for our introducing to our earth pesticides,herbicides,toxic waste etc.......not to mention mans continual sin & defiling & abusing our bodies.We see in remote parts of the world where people live beyond 100,where the ground is not polluted by toxins & the people eat well,don't smoke,drink,take drugs...so this has me sitting on the fence as to what was meant by the 120yrs?You have made very good points in your interpretation & perhaps through prayer and the Power of the Holy Spirit I will come to know Gods Truth,my knowledge does not suffice......Thank you,Gliding Wings for this interesting thread...& God bless you! :mgcheerful:

With love,in Christ-Kwik

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

The 120 years was the amount of time,God allowed until the flood, it wasn't a mans lifespan.

That is correct. :thumbsup:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Blessings Gliding Wings,

Very interesting OP & it seems this has always been a topic of controversy.....whether the 120yrs given to man was the time left for man to repent before the great flood or mans diminished lifespan ,we do know that after the flood (other than Noahs 3 sons)no one lived beyond 120yrs and throughout time mans average life expectancy seems to have gotten shorter & shorter,I believe this is attributed to the cursed ground caused by the fall of man,resulting in the 70-80yrs we see in Psalms 90

The average life expectancy today is still 70-80yrs except for our introducing to our earth pesticides,herbicides,toxic waste etc.......not to mention mans continual sin & defiling & abusing our bodies.We see in remote parts of the world where people live beyond 100,where the ground is not polluted by toxins & the people eat well,don't smoke,drink,take drugs...so this has me sitting on the fence as to what was meant by the 120yrs?You have made very good points in your interpretation & perhaps through prayer and the Power of the Holy Spirit I will come to know Gods Truth,my knowledge does not suffice......Thank you,Gliding Wings for this interesting thread...& God bless you! :mgcheerful:

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Actually the life span didn't drop below 120 until Joseph.   he was 110, but Juda lived to 130.

Retrobyter

Retrobyter

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Shalom, donfish06.

Try checking out Blue Letter Bible's site: http://www.bluelette...allel/timeline/.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Shalom, donfish06.

Try checking out Blue Letter Bible's site: http://www.bluelette...allel/timeline/.

I have a problem with that particular graph in that it shows Shem dieing before Abraham when if you take all the begats and ages Shem lived 35 years longer than Abraham.

Jonah'sJourney

Jonah'sJourney
  • Members
  • 42 posts

In my timeline I have Shem dying at age 600 (Gen. 11:11) in the year 2159 (after creation of Adam), 150 years after Abram was born, and 50 years after Isaac was born.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

I have come to believe that the 120 years are Jubilee years that began with the creation of Adam and Eve who were sent out in to the world to have dominion but failed along with their posterity.  120 Jubilees is 6000 years which is approximately what some calculate our time to be around now.  If that be the case then we ought to be seeing great things come to pass in the relatively near future.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Edits that out didnt like how I laid that out

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Thank you for your second thoughts....   don't know what it was but I appreciate people rechecking their posts.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Thank you for your second thoughts....   don't know what it was but I appreciate people rechecking their posts.

Yeah, I just had a second thoughts about posting it.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Yeah, I just had a second thoughts about posting it.

I do that off and on my self.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network