christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Real book or Kindle?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

Do you prefer a real book or Kindle?

Logan

Logan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

I like both

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Interests:Church, spending time with the family, Hunting, Fishing, shooting, camping, anything outdoors really, occasionally dabling in the finer arts of computers.

real. though ill read a book on my android smartphone on occasion when a real book is unavailable.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

Real. Nothing beats the feel of paper and the glossy smell of whatever it is they put on the paper to make it smell like a book.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts
  • Interests:my interests vary from week to week, but my faith never does!

i used to love books. REAL books. but they take up lots of space, they're a pain to lug around when moving, and they're expensive.... unless you go to the library. 

now i use my tablet to read from. i got the tablet for my birthday last october, and now have a library of  nearly 400 books, almost all of which are by christian authors, and i've never paid more than $2.99 for one of them. in fact, most of them i've gotten for free. don't make the mistake of confusing price with quality though. i've only deleted a few of them for being either boring, poorly written or poorly edited. most of the free or low priced books are promotional sales that last only a day or two before going back to full price. i subscribe to a blog that lists specials each day. granted, i've read only a fraction of the books i now own through kindle, but i've read some really outstanding ones.

plus you can borrow books from your library on your kindle or tablet without ever having to GO to the library.

i wouldn't have it any other way.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,500 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

Kindle.....   when you drop it you don't loose your place and when your eyes get tired you can make the print larger and when they really hurt like mine do this week you can just plug in the ear phones and have a listen...   the Kindle is also searchable so every word in indexed....

Unfortunately some of my favorite reads are not E-books

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Real. Nothing beats the feel of paper and the glossy smell of whatever it is they put on the paper to make it smell like a book.

I agree.There is nothing like a paper book in your hands.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Books with front and back covers, pages in between.

I seriously hope they Never disappear.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

I like real books, but I have a problem. I don't have the space to store them, much less carry a heavy bunch of books around in my bag on mass transit all day. So I use the Kindle. Its e-ink screen is easy to read in sunlight and looks a lot like regular book page so its easy on the eyes. There's a blog that lists specials and free books each day that I subscribe to, and have gotten many free or low priced reads through that. 

http://www.ereaderiq.com/ is the name of the site. It's for Kindle only, but there are similar sites for the other readers too.

Something else that comes in really handy is Calibre, a free library management program that helps keep track of all your books. You can also read, store, and convert books to and from different formats with it as well.

http://calibre-ebook.com/ is the name of the site. Watch the demo video to see how well it works. (Yes. It runs on Windows, Linux, and the Mac!) The "cloud storage" of books bought on Amazon is great, but I prefer to keep a copy of my library locally. Cloud storage doesn't work that well when the power is out or your 'net connection is down.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

Each has its advantages.

In the future due to political censorship (the rise of the Beast), certain books may be banned (including the Bible). Digital technology means that books can now be stored in a very tiny space, making book smuggling easier. You could have the Bible and lots of other information that the government doesn't want you to have on a tiny memory stick and this information could be transmitted and sent to kindles worldwide. It could even be encrypted to read like something else. Books are bulky, they tear, they burn, and are more difficult to transport. You also need lots of them but you only need one kindle.

On the other hand, a blocking (or monitoring) of the information super highway (satellite or internet) or a power blackout would prevent the flow of certain digital information. Without the ability to recharge, kindle batteries would eventually run dry rendering the device completely useless. Books require no source of electricity and if looked after will last a lifetime. They can be read in the wilderness, in the outback, in the forest and in the desert. They require no maintenance or artificial light source and there's no chance of them detected by spy equipment such as radio signal receivers.

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, cooking, baking, making cards.

I like both but believe that as in China and other countries where the Bible was not allowed people read one page at a time and passed it around until they got the next memorizing the Word. Tablets will be able to be censured, found and distorted but the page may last for a long time. As others have said there is nothing like a paper in the hand but it's easier to store ebooks. 

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,609 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

I use both online sources and real books, so I really don't have a favorite.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

I like real books, but I have a problem. I don't have the space to store them, much less carry a heavy bunch of books around in my bag on mass transit all day. So I use the Kindle. Its e-ink screen is easy to read in sunlight and looks a lot like regular book page so its easy on the eyes. There's a blog that lists specials and free books each day that I subscribe to, and have gotten many free or low priced reads through that. 

http://www.ereaderiq.com/ is the name of the site. It's for Kindle only, but there are similar sites for the other readers too.

Something else that comes in really handy is Calibre, a free library management program that helps keep track of all your books. You can also read, store, and convert books to and from different formats with it as well.

http://calibre-ebook.com/ is the name of the site. Watch the demo video to see how well it works. (Yes. It runs on Windows, Linux, and the Mac!) The "cloud storage" of books bought on Amazon is great, but I prefer to keep a copy of my library locally. Cloud storage doesn't work that well when the power is out or your 'net connection is down.

i tried calibre once. i found it just too complicated for this old brain. it made me feel kinda like my mom feels when she tries doing something as simple as forwarding an email LOL. 

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Each has its advantages.

In the future due to political censorship (the rise of the Beast), certain books may be banned (including the Bible). Digital technology means that books can now be stored in a very tiny space, making book smuggling easier. You could have the Bible and lots of other information that the government doesn't want you to have on a tiny memory stick and this information could be transmitted and sent to kindles worldwide. It could even be encrypted to read like something else. Books are bulky, they tear, they burn, and are more difficult to transport. You also need lots of them but you only need one kindle.

On the other hand, a blocking (or monitoring) of the information super highway (satellite or internet) or a power blackout would prevent the flow of certain digital information. Without the ability to recharge, kindle batteries would eventually run dry rendering the device completely useless. Books require no source of electricity and if looked after will last a lifetime. They can be read in the wilderness, in the outback, in the forest and in the desert. They require no maintenance or artificial light source and there's no chance of them detected by spy equipment such as radio signal receivers.

Dead batteries are a pain. There is a solution that will work in most places where you get sun light though: 

http://www.goalzero....solar-kit/24:1/

Will charge the batteries in the charger, and can charge USB devices too, like a phone, or Kindle directly from the solar panel.

educatexan

educatexan
  • Members
  • 25 posts

I can't say that I have a preference.  I do like the ability to carry more material on my Nook than I could with paperbacks.  However, I've discovered a slight problem.  Being a visual learner, I rely on a mental snapshot of the cover of a book to know if I've read it or not.  I've accidentally bought paperback versions of books I already read on the Nook because I didn't see its cover all the time.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

I can't say that I have a preference.  I do like the ability to carry more material on my Nook than I could with paperbacks.  However, I've discovered a slight problem.  Being a visual learner, I rely on a mental snapshot of the cover of a book to know if I've read it or not.  I've accidentally bought paperback versions of books I already read on the Nook because I didn't see its cover all the time.

can you not look at the cover of a book on nook? i can on my tablet. granted, i don't see it every time i pick it up to read, but i could if i wanted. i'd just have to "close" the book and go back to the main screen, then the cover of what i want to read would be there every time i turned it on, and i'd have  to click it to open back to where i'd left off.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Me too  :mgcheerful:

terry777

terry777
  • Members
  • 7 posts

I have a Kindle, but I would really prefer a book. I like to be able to hold the book and read it without looking at a computer screen all the time. Yes, Kindles are nice and all, but they are also costing jobs for people who work at companies that print and ship books.

2Joyful

2Joyful

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family and Friends. Interacting with those who know God and those who needs help finding Him.

Love my Kindle!! Its easy for me to select books I want to read...plus receiving "free" books are wonderful!!

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,747 posts

Hands down real.

But I also read some online while in chat lol. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network