christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Real book or Kindle?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

AugustMay

AugustMay
  • Members
  • 22 posts

I like both but prefer a real book.  Just feels good.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,963 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

just received 9 books from Tom Horn.....   it's paper for me for the next few weeks.

bluegrass_fan76

bluegrass_fan76
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:spending time with wife and kids, rabbit and squirrel hunting, crappie fishing, working out in yard and garden, camping, bluegrass music, collecting antique soda bottles

Real book, you can pass it down to future generations or share it with friends/family now.  Can't do that with a Kindle. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,963 posts

Real book, you can pass it down to future generations or share it with friends/family now.  Can't do that with a Kindle. 

We have a couple of hundred books in our Kindle library...  I'm told that I can loan any of these to other people with a Kindle account,   Last time I checked there were hundreds of thousands of books you can download for free.....   I've never had anyone send me a free book unless I had bought something else they were selling

We are on a two week fishing trip and I am far away from any book store and I just purchased and downloaded into my celll phone a new short story from Koontz.   That's impossible to do with a book.....   and to boot it was only 99cents.

I'm just a kindle kind of guy......    actually I read my Samsung phone more than my kindle..   it's easier to carry around.   If you come by and see me looking at my phone for any length of time, I'm most likely either reading a book, or worthy.

Maka

Maka
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Real books, I already have problems with my eyes from my iPad.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,963 posts

Real books, I already have problems with my eyes from my iPad.

a regular kindle is not hard on your eyes like an Ipad.   It's not color, but doesn't give you that wavy sight like flat screens .

MarieAnne

MarieAnne
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Smilies, aquarium fish, knitting and of course my Lord.

Both...I love to read and use my Kindle Fire and my kindle keyboard and books as well.  What I cannot find one place I will find another.  Both are a blessing.  The kindle because I have vision issues and font can be enlarged as much as I need at the moment.

LanceA

LanceA
  • Members
  • 19 posts
Kindle for leisure reading, studying scripture a real book

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,963 posts

kindle for leasure reading      PC Study Bible from  BibleSoft for studying and research.

Book to look smart....

darkest_red

darkest_red

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Music, gigs, movies, writing, dancing...usual kinda thing!

Book to look smart....

That depends on the book!

I like both and the Kindle is very clever, but I do prefer real books.  As other people have already mentioned, books do take up a lot of space and not always easy to carry around, and it is wonderful to have the ability to store so many books on a small device - not to mention all the free books! -  so I do like my Kindle.  That said, though I tell myself I won't, I do find myself buying more books whenever I see some that look interesting in charity shops.  It is rare that I use my Kindle as I currently have plenty of real books that I need to get through, either given to me as birthday or Christmas presents, or that I have picked up cheaply in a charity shop.

However they are read, I think the important thing is that people are reading.  I can't imagine being one of those people that doesn't like to do so.

LaVolpe

LaVolpe
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:i am interested in early american history, constitutional studies, political science in action, the appleseed project, working with our local churches, my four cats, and many other things that i touch on and come back to later.

rea. it is hard to break the screen, and requires no batteries or power adapter.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,963 posts
Yeah but I'm on a two week plus fishing trip.... who wants to lug a bunch of books around from the Winnebago to the boat. Pull the book up on the cellphone and read on something you carry anyway

shazza

shazza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:Love the outdoors, my fav place to be is at the beach, I feel a real peace and God's presence there. I love to walk and walk and walk, enjoy the fresh air. One of my biggest joys are my friends, they are a gift from God. I seek HIM with all of my heart to be the woman He has always wanted me to be. I love to have FUN, laugh a lot and have a great sense of humour. I love listening to Christian music and love it LOUD in my car (maybe that is so that it can drown out my voice) LOL. Take care and God Bless.

I LOVE books in any format but I have a e-reader (I am an Aussie so we do not have kindles so much) but I have to admit I love my e-reader but there's  nothing like the feel of a real book in your hands. I do read both but I am leaning more toward the e-reader being my favourite. Travelling is great, e-readers can hold so many books where travelling with a bundle of books totally adds to your luggage weight :biggrin2:

Guest_LadyC_*

Guest_LadyC_*
  • Guests

some day i hope i'll have a kindle paperwhite... isn't that the one that is still readable outdoors? all my books are electronic these days, which suits me just fine most of the time. but today was so pretty and breezy i thought i'd sit out in the hammock to read. yeah, i didn't stay out there long. too much glare on my tablet. some day, some day...

Unique

Unique
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Oh, definitely book. I'm a huge book addict. Reading is one thing I do to peel myself away from the screen. So Kindle would definitely mess that up. I'm sticking with books :)

Guest_LadyC_*

Guest_LadyC_*
  • Guests

ok so i have a new question for all you who prefer books.

what do you do with them all? do you just keep building more shelves to accommodate the ever growing library? do you give them away or donate them to charity? do you trade them in at a place like half-price books? do you box them up?

in my teens and 20s, i used to read tons of books. i preferred hard-back books, and was proud of my collection. at some point i got so darned sick of packing and moving them every six months or so (why do young people find it so hard to stay settled in one place?) that i finally took them all to half-price and sold them for pennies on the dollar. it broke my heart. i actually grieved for my books. but it was the smartest thing i ever did, and it only took one more move for me to never look back with regret.

my sis-in-law just moved to west texas. she'd lived in her house for 20 years, and had shelves in the living room, shelves in the hallway, and boxes upon boxes of books in her attic. she took them all with her. my brother keeps crossing his fingers that one day she'll convert to electronic. he hated moving them.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,352 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

Books. I love the tactile feel of them, and even the smell. My bibles have stains that a kindle can't give me.

One of my greatest pleasures used to be taking my used books to a used book store. The clerk would estimate their worth and scribble the amount on a piece of paper. I would then spend a Saturday morning browsing through the shop contents and choosing my books to the amount on the piece of paper. Sometimes I would have to pay in a little in cash if I went over the limit. It was quiet, cool and soothing to the soul...

They have gone out of business mow, due to the interweb and such........ Kindle killed the used book store...sigh.

darkest_red

darkest_red

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Music, gigs, movies, writing, dancing...usual kinda thing!

ok so i have a new question for all you who prefer books.

what do you do with them all? do you just keep building more shelves to accommodate the ever growing library? do you give them away or donate them to charity? do you trade them in at a place like half-price books? do you box them up?

in my teens and 20s, i used to read tons of books. i preferred hard-back books, and was proud of my collection. at some point i got so darned sick of packing and moving them every six months or so (why do young people find it so hard to stay settled in one place?) that i finally took them all to half-price and sold them for pennies on the dollar. it broke my heart. i actually grieved for my books. but it was the smartest thing i ever did, and it only took one more move for me to never look back with regret.

my sis-in-law just moved to west texas. she'd lived in her house for 20 years, and had shelves in the living room, shelves in the hallway, and boxes upon boxes of books in her attic. she took them all with her. my brother keeps crossing his fingers that one day she'll convert to electronic. he hated moving them.

Currently I live in a small studio flat with very limited space for books.  Most of my books are in boxes at my parents house, though the ones I have with me are on top of my chest of drawers - they are neat currently but rapidly running out of room so that may change!  My plan was to swap books I've read recently with books I haven't read for a while that are at my parent's house but so far that hasn't exactly gone to plan as I keep adding more.  I do need to figure out where to store them all though as I am definitely a book buying addict.  I went away for a few days at the beginning of the month and ended up bringing 8 books back with me and every time I tell myself that I am going to take a break from book buying for a while, I never stick to it.  There is just too much temptation in charity shops - plus the added bonus of knowing you are helping out a charity that makes it even harder to resist!

Guest_LadyC_*

Guest_LadyC_*
  • Guests

LOL, i do understand!

• Guests

I have a larger apartment than I used to, but still don't have the shelves for all the books if they were real. I'm stuck on mass transit, which means I am gone for much of the day - which makes carrying a Kindle much easier and lighter than a backpack full of books. I did that in school, and I don't miss it! My current reading list goes where I go on the Kindle these days.

There is another reason for me to go electronic which is more about practicality than anything else. I have a 5th floor apartment. That means anything lugged up there is going to have to come down on moving day, and that's one reason I don't have much furniture . . . I hate moving, but moving furniture has a hatred all its own.  :laugh:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2015 part of the Worthy Network