christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

forgiveness.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

gentlegemini

gentlegemini
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I love church, reading, alfie boe, and anything and everything to do with horses or koalas :D

My question is this, can you ever truly forgive someone who has ripped your life apart? How do you begin to do that?, and how long does it take before you stop hating them, and feel at peace?I

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,439 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Pray~!

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:13

For He Is Able

Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23

Beloved, Oh So

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24

Able

Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall. My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.

It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:19-23

Jerry1023

Jerry1023

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:I love to pray and read my bible.i also like watching and playing football,i'm a die hard manchester united fan,i'm super fan of (EPL)
Bitterness is a dangerous sin,that postpone God blessing,somethings are very hard to forgive,Jesus said without me you can do nothing,if you find it too hard to forgive on your own,ask God for the grace to forgive and forget,with God all things are possible,Jesus said if you did not forgive men the bad things they did to you,neither will you heavenly father forgive you,we ought to forgive, not to bear grudges and bitterness,even at the point of death,Jesus still display the important of forgiviness:father forgive them,for they don't know what they are doing.As far as there is a man to pray,there is a God to answer,God grant me the grace to forgive (mr A or mrs B)

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,483 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

My question is this, can you ever truly forgive someone who has ripped your life apart? How do you begin to do that?, and how long does it take before you stop hating them, and feel at peace?I

Forgiveness should be automatic.  Don't confuse the healing process for forgiveness. 

I can completely forgive a person who lied to me or cheated.  But that does not mean I will ever fully trust them again.  Forgiveness doesn't mean that everything returns to the way things were before you were hurt.  The other party needs to realize that you have a healing process to go through and it might take a year or longer for you to heal up.  They may need to keep their distance for some time before you are ready to let them back into your life in any way shape or form.

Forgiveness means that you are putting justice into God's hands, you will let God deal with that person on your behalf.  God is the one who knows how to handle these things and you need to let Him in His wisdom deal with that other person.   Human nature wants revenge, but God will administer justice, because only God is wise enough to respond with just enough justice to fit the crime.

But are commanded to forgive and that commandment is unconditional.   You may need to rely on His power to fully forgive and to maintain that forgiveness.  Unforgiveness is a sin  and it will eat you alive if you let it fester.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study

We choose to forgive because God tells us to do it, not because we feel like it.  He enables us to do it because He lives in us by His Spirit.  That is the Spirit of Jesus Who said, Father forgive them, they know not what they do, while He was hanging on that cross.  So He will enable you to do the same if you ask Him, realizing  that you are asking God to do through you what you are unable to do in your own strength.  Forgive the unforgivable.

God will also mend your broken heart, but it takes time.  You will have to forgive each time the bad memories come up, and each time it will become easier.  Your anger will soften and your grief and sadness will become less painful as you realize that life goes on without that person but it will never be the same.  

Isaiah 61:1-3 has always ministered to me even though it was written to the Jewish people.  Jesus also quoted from it.

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor;

HE HAS SENT ME TO HEAL THE BROKENHEARTED, to proclaim liberty to captives, and th opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God;

TO COMFORT ALL WHO MOURN, to console those who mourn is Zion,

TO GIVE THEM BEAUTY FOR ASHES, THE OIL OF JOY FOR MOURNING, THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS,

THAT THEY MAY BE CALL TREES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, THE PLANTING OF THE LORD, THAT HE MAY BE GLORIFIED.

Yes, God can even use this to make something beautiful out of it.  He may help you to identify with the sufferings of Christ .  He was spit upon, rejected, deserted by His disciples, and even felt rejected by His Father.  He endured it all out of love for the Father and His love for you.  

He may help you to comprehend the height depth, and width of God's love which is beyond comprehension, but which is experienced and known by allowing Him to express it through you to love the unlovable and forgive the unforgivable..  So ask God to use it for good in your life as He promised in Romans 8.

Praying

Willa

another_poster

another_poster
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Sometimes forgiveness is a process. I forgave my ex wife. however I needed to do so several more times. First time I wasn't really sincere. Some healing needed to happen before I could be sincere. 

How long does it take before you stop hating them? Well 2 years and counting for me. I did talk to her the other week. Previously I would keep communication to email or text message. When she calls every week to speak to our child I would hit the answer button and put it on speaker then hand the phone over to my child without saying a word. I still don't feel at peace but I am making progress. I found writing my story down helped. Counselling helped in giving me strategies to deal with it. Knowing which friends I can count on to help when I needed it in those early days was the biggest help.

josh4jesus

josh4jesus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

consider the sins we have made in our life... and our Father have forgiven us every single time 

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

What do you think forgivness means?  

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings gentlegemini

Welcome to Worthy.....I see you like horses,I am a professional horse trainer....been riding since I was 3 and began showing at age 5,,,,went on to the InterNational Circuit "Haute e'cole"........Praise the Lord! Glad to meet another "horse person" LOL :horse:

What is really going to hinder your prayers & your healing process is that "hatred"....it goes hand in hand with unforgiveness,bitterness & resentment.Firstly,it is by the Power of the Holy Spirit that true forgiveness comes and is the Heart & Mind of Christ that enables us to see,think,feel,move,walk & love in spirit & in truth........we cannot even "love" right without Jesus abiding in us.

You have to start taking captive of every thought for a renewing of the mind......you are not accountable for what someone else does (or has done)& have no control over that but we certainly are accountable for our own actions & in control of how we re-act to what others say & do.........I will tell you what makes it so very easy for me to love those who hate me & pray for my enemies and I hope this will help you & encourage you to know that it is going to be okay........if the Lord transformed me into a new creature,He can do it for you and I had a heart of stone once upon a time,,,,,,Glory to God!

When I am at the receiving end of someones cruelty,hatred,injustice & so on and they intentionally try to hurt me ,,,because of Christ abiding in me I can see through His Eyes & I usually see a poor,wretched sinner...lost ,bound by evil  & on the road that leads to destruction.......they need forgiveness,they need Christ forgiveness ,they need to want it.....they are in serious trouble(for eternity).No matter what has been done to me,I can only think that God is my Vindicator & I do not want any human being to see the Wrath of God!!!!Any notions of myself feeling hurt is no longer of any importance because I know Gods Truth ,,,,,,eternal torment.I think of even the most hideous ,atrocious act of wickedness a person could commit & still I do not want to see them in hellfire for eternity......perhaps 5,10 or 20,000 years ,,,,,but forever?

You see,suddenly when I think of everything from an eternal perspective,instead of a temporal view.......it all changes,I am no longer hurt(for me),forgiveness is easy then,no anger,no bitterness.......only a loving compassion & hope they will fall to their knees before Christ at the foot of the cross to receive Gods Grace,,,,,,,it is much more important  than the temporal suffering they may have caused me

With love-in Christ,Kwik

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

that usually happens shortly after one realizes that hating someone no matter what for only hurts the one hating.   If someone would do that to you, you really don't want them around you anyway.....    so just give yourself a break and get on with life

disciplehelovestoo

disciplehelovestoo
  • Members
  • 68 posts

forgiveness is a decision, and it's something only victims can do.  forgiveness isn't based on feelings, and often flies on the face of feelings of hurt.  once you forgive, you strive to not talk about the thing forgiven anymore no matter how hard you may be fighting to stop thinking about it.  if you don't forgive, you are asking God to judge the other person; which establishes a standard of perfection that you can't meet either (albeit usually in seemingly unrelated ways); to refuse to forgive is to invite God's judgment of your own performance, which falls short of the perfect standard as well as the person who injured you (He won't judge you for that, but you will find it impossible to receive forgiveness if you deny it to others).  forgiveness is for you; the other person may not even realize that they need forgiveness.  a victim is someone who is at the mercy of someone else and powerless to defend themselves; when you forgive, you reject that power you've given to the offender to hurt you.  only victims can forgive, because once they do they are no longer victims, they become victors.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network