christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Few Questions About Christianity

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

kool_kid_86

kool_kid_86
  • Nonbeliever
  • 18 posts

I am an atheist just trying to understand more about Christianity. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask, and I would appreciate any sort of guidance that is offered.

How does someone put Christ before anyone else? The way I have grown up I have always believed that people are the most important thing in the world. Materialistic items (money, property, power, fame) can come and go, but people stay eternal. Family, friends, and loved ones are the ones that you will always have forever. How can someone put Christ before their children and their wife/husband? If God asks you to leave your family behind, would you be able to do it?

Why does God want us to love him in-order to be saved? Why is this a requirement? Can we not just do good in the world (follow his teachings)? I have read through Mark, Mathew, and Luke, but still am a bit confused by what the bible says.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
Kool_kid_86 have you ever read in the book of Hosea? Its one of my favorite books in the bible. Alot in that book may be confusing to you since you said some of the new testament confuses you. And thats ok but I want to explain a part of it to you. The word knowledge appears quite a few times in Hosea. Specificly lets take a look at Hosea 4:1... Hear the word of the Lord, ye children of Israel: for the Lord hath controvesy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
Where it speaks of knowledge of God, it isnt talking aboit just knowing who He is, but an intimate fellowship or relationship with Him. He wants us to know Him. He wants us to come to Him in every way. He desires to love us and teach us how to live. The people in the book of Hosea had abandoned this knowledge and went after false gods and immorality. This relationship, or knowledge of God, is truely the best part of christianity. Someone who does all the right things but does not seek to know Him has missed out on the very best. Why would you not want to know and be friends with the One who made you, or said let there be light and there was light. Or even better the one who died the death on a cross to pay for your sins? The bible tells us God is love. Everything He has for you is from love. I have even heard him speak and if I could describe His voice it would be... if you could get pure love to speak. We cant be saved by just doing good. Salvation is by grace thru faith. Its a gift. Do you give gifts to people at random that you dont know? Its up to us to seek Him. And God wants people that are sold out for Him. Take for instance Adam and eve. Adam could have told Eve, no I wont eat the fruit. That would be loving God more than his wife. But as a man, I can see that would be a difficult test. But God wants to be first in yoir life. Thats why the first of the ten commandments is thou shall have no other god before me. God loved us enough to send Jesus to die on a cross to pay for our sins. The bible says no man has a greater love than laying down his life for His friends. (John 15:13) If He loved us this much dont you think we should be greatful and desire to know Him?
no amount of good you can do will ever amount to anything. The bible says in Isaiah 64:6 but we are as an unclean thing, and our righteousness are as filthy rags. Our very best cannot please God the term filthy rags is refering to lepers bandages that are good for nothing but to be burned in the fire. The only way to be saved is to repent and to ask Jesus to come into your life. And we must continue to follow Him, even when others wont.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general,artwork,animal trainer,cooking & eating,laughing

Blessings kool-kid

Welcome tho Worthy...........I think the best Book in the Bible for you to start out with would be the Gospel of John,you can learn how much God loves you by reading this 'Love Letter".Perhaps you can even say an earnest prayer ,asking God to reveal Himself to you in His Word(the Bible)& get to know Him rather than just read about Him.....the best One to answer your questions is God Himself but we can try to help as much as we can.

I don't know why you say you are an atheist because you seem more of an agnostic,do you really believe there is no Creator or are you just unsure of what to believe?People are the most important thing,that is why God left His Majesty in Heaven to die in our place,,,,,,that no man should perish but have everlasting life.People are the most important things to God,His own creation,,,made in His very likeness.Are people as important to you as they are to Him?Would you go to the cross & give your own life in place of a friend?Gods love for us is immeasurable,it is called Agape love,there is none higher or deeper and God first loved us ,that is why we love Him

You see,as a Christian,for those that truly are Christians & not just claim to be...Christ Jesus abides in us & so we have the Heart & Mind of Christ and do not see the world as others see it......we see through the eyes of God.the eyes of our Heart & that is an eternal view,not temporal.Everything in this world,in this life will surely pass away except for the Word of God .......we are here together just for a time,what is important is eternity.........through our faith in Jesus we are reconciled back to our Heavenly Father & He gives us His Grace by which we are Saved & we are guaranteed the seal of  redemption on our spirits........we will leave these bodies but we will go on eternally.

Putting people before Christ will not guarantee you eternal life in Gods Presence,nothing in this world will ....even loving your children more than anything will not Save them or anyone,only Christ can,it is only by the Grace of God..........we are but each others temporary families,God is our Eternal Father....the One that gives us life.The greatest responsibility a parent has to their children is to teach them Gods Word ,His Ways .....what good do you do your children by loving them only so they can have the things of this world & then be cast into outer darkness when they have lived their life?You lead by example & could not teach them any better than to teach them to put God first in their lives as you do.

We are not all Gods children but we are all His creation,He made us with the intention that we would be His children(Adam)& be with Him forever,,,,,,,doesn't every parent want to be loved in return?But God gave us free will,we can choose to reject Him and He will accept that choice.........I hope this helped answer your question a little bit.....I do want to encourage you to read the Book of John,I think it may give you a better understanding                                                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,176 posts
  • Interests:**Study God's Word to know God...
    **To know Christ in service to others!
    **Multi skilled in building industry for use in that service.
    **Computer skills: graphic art, cad design
    **Bible College 3.5 years

I am an atheist just trying to understand more about Christianity. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask, and I would appreciate any sort of guidance that is offered.

How does someone put Christ before anyone else?

The reality of God 'IS' Truth and to put it simply The Lord is the first and last unbounded by
limitations; however we, as created, cannot experientially fathom this but must by faith accept it for
the reason of His Word that says so ... thus it is naturally the right of His Person as the only One of
His Kind!

The way I have grown up I have always believed that people are the most important thing in the world. Materialistic items (money, property, power, fame) can come and go, but people stay eternal. Family, friends, and loved ones are the ones that you will always have forever. How can someone put Christ before their children and their wife/husband? If God asks you to leave your family behind, would you be able to do it?

What you are asking is an supernatural result of being born again... Placing God in His proper place
brings perfect relationship to all that is created by Him. We are able to love purely in the authority
of His Being with everlasting selfless perfection that He gives us as result of our obedience to this
placement...

Why does God want us to love him in-order to be saved? Why is this a requirement? Can we not just do good in the world (follow his teachings)? I have read through Mark, Mathew, and Luke, but still am a bit confused by what the bible says.

In the first born mind it has been altered by sin and influence of satan in this worldly system
so that what you think is wrong according to what truth really is... and because of this wrong
thinking what seems right is really wrong and what seems love is really false selfish motivated
yuk...

The basic concept of Christian is a person who through the reading of preaching of His Word faith begins
in them Rom 10:17 and the results of this faith that is formed from reading is believing what is written to the point
that they realize that all that they are is unacceptable to pure and Holy God and they repent of themselves Acts 11:18
to God and cry out to be saved by Jesus Rom 10:13 and He does because He says so Rev 3:20 and we experience this Spiritually
for the first time as new life within us 2Cor 5:17 ... from this point of new life we are made able by God The Holy Spirit
within us to renew our mind according to His Word and we advance toward being like our Lord Jesus The Christ!Rom 12:2, Tit 3:5
Love, Steven

Edited by enoob57, 26 August 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study
When we put God first in our lives, everything else falls into the right perspective. The first thing God did in me when I did this was to tell me to love my husband and children, and He gave me a more complete, forgiving and self sacrificing love to do it with--His love. My own love is inadequit.

God has never told me to leave my family. There are missionaries who have been told to do that because it became very dangerous for their families to stay with them. However this is rare. He usually unites families if the other person chooses to stay with the Christian.

It will be easier to understand the bible after you have asked God to forgive you and come into your life. He will give you the Holy Spirit Who will help you to understand.

God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He didn't wait for us to become perfect. He recognized that man can never be good enough. So He took our sin upon Himself and suffered and died in our place. Then He traded our sin for His perfection, which is written on our account sheet so that we legally have the righteousness of Christ. That is hard to comprehend, but that is what God did for us to save us from damnation and eternal seperation from anything that is good.

It is only because God first loved us that we are able to love Him. We love Him out of gratitude and thanks giving for what He has done for us. And the more we realize all the ugliness that God has forgiven us, the more thankful and grateful we are. He who is forgiven much loves much. A lot of the ugliness is that which is in our heart and our attitudes. We don't have to have been murderers to have been forgiven much. The hatred in our hearts, or the lust, or the self righteousness or pride are just as bad if not worse.
We are all sinners in need of a Savior.
Blessings,
Willa

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,619 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

Thank you for your upfront honesty. Please realize that some of what you will read in replies will not really make sense since you do not have a relationship with God.

The fact that you are seeking answers to questions makes me wonder if you really are an atheist or if you are agnostic. You see, if you really did not believe in God, you would not even bother wondering why we believe the way we do. Our faith would be seen in the same light as a child believing in the tooth fairy.

How does someone put Christ before anyone else? The way I have grown up I have always believed that people are the most important thing in the world. Materialistic items (money, property, power, fame) can come and go, but people stay eternal. Family, friends, and loved ones are the ones that you will always have forever. How can someone put Christ before their children and their wife/husband?

There are a couple of points that need to be addresses. First, family, friends and loved ones will not be there forever. They, just like all of us, die.

Second, when one comes to realize that God is real, we begin to see how His ways are far above our ways, and to believe we know better then Him, we soon see the foolishness of our thoughts. To understand the fullness of God opens the understanding as to why He must be first in our lives. He would never direct us down a path that would cause harm to anyone. He is love and all His ways create more love.

This brings us back to the first point. The only way you will be able to spend eternity with the ones you love are if you and they accept the life God provides. God, being the Creator of all, even life eternal, will not allow sin into the next life. That is stated all through scripture. Sin is going against God. The deadliest sin of all is to reject Him. There is no turning back when one dies in rejection.

If God asks you to leave your family behind, would you be able to do it?

Yes. The next question in this series would be, "How do you know God is asking you to leave?" , or something along that line. When God moves inside you, there is no question it is Him when one has a relationship with Him close enough for Him to choose you to do so. God would never ask you to do something that you cannot do.

To understand why, you first have to consider Who God is. God is not a man that will pass after time. He lives forever, no beginning and no end. God is also pure love, something we as humans cannot grasp in this life. Using these to truths, consider the following.

God wants to share eternity with those who seek pure love. There is no way to even understand pure love unless He lives in you. People get only a snapshot of this type of love by reading the actions of His Son, Jesus, as He taught, died and rose again. Those who refuse to really meet God don't even understand why His terms must be met.

God offers an eternity of perfect love, perfect health, perfect happiness, perfect everything. There is only one way to enter into this, and that is to have no sin. The only way to be this way is to have His Spirit live in you and have your sins covered by the sacrifice of His Son. There is no other way to gain acceptance. Sure, many will claim they were good, but when one understands how sin lives in our nature, one then understands that we can never be good enough.

Maybe I can give you an example.

Say you have an island and you develop it to be a paradise, never ending food and fresh water, enough rooms for everyone to live and have the privacy they desire, where all that is dangerous is removed. You put everything you had to create such a place. You then offer admittance to everyone who is willing to fulfill one goal, but in order to fulfill this goal, there are certain steps one must follow, or the goal could never be fulfilled. This goal is a test to ensure that they will be able to live in, and provide for, the life planned for this paradise. Some accept the challenge and do what is asked, though it was against their nature and difficult. These were allowed to live on the island for they did everything they were asked to do. Others came seeking admittance, claiming they did what they thought they had to do, but did not follow the instructions; therefore, they never really reached to goal set for them to reach, but one that they substituted in place of the one you required, claiming it was good enough. Others came seeking admittance after completing only part of the goal, claiming the requirements were too hard so they gave up trying. Still, others came claiming if you really cared about others, you would admit anyone who wants to live in such a place.

Knowing that in order for your paradise to work, those who live there must have certain qualities, which can only be reached if the goal was completed in its entirety. Failing to complete the goal proves the individual did not apply enough of themselves to work through the hard times, which could be reached by all who had the desire to complete it. The test is either pass or fail.

Eternal life with God means we have to accept His salvation plan. Salvation is either yes, you accept the salvation put forth by God, or no, you reject the salvation as He put forth. Unlike my example, the work has been done for us, through Christ Jesus. All we have to do is accept who Christ is and what Christ did for us. He took upon Himself the sins of every single person who ever lived, is living, and who will live, on this world. It is free, but the choice to accept it has to be done from the heart, not just lip service or a thought. Being from the heart allows Him to live in us, creating us to be like Jesus. Accepting Christ is the beginning of true life.

Rejecting Christ does not mean once you die, you cease to exist. It means that you spend eternity away from God. Since God is everything perfect, living apart from God means to live apart from everything perfect.

He allows us a lifetime to choose. The wise truly accept His challenge to get to know Him, for He will never turn anyone away whose heart is seeking after Him. Those who choose to ignore His calling to find Him end up wasting their time and, in the end, find themselves face to face with He who created them, only to be just as rejected as they rejected Him.

Hope this was clear enough ...

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Can we not just do good in the world (follow his teachings)? I have read through Mark, Mathew, and Luke, but still am a bit confused by what the bible says.

One of His teachings is to put Him first in our lives. To be a faithful Christian is to follow all of His teachings as best we can. As we become closer to Him we begin to understand that our commitment to Jesus isn't an obligation but rather a privilege, we are blessed abundantly and freed from the spirit of the world with an eternal perfect life awaiting us.

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:God's supernatural reality in action, Jesus walking amidst us, exposing the end time deception, biblical languages, prophetic.

You put Him first, because He has been from the beginning, so you just put Him in the natural place. From a materialistic point of view that seems irrealistic, since one has no experience of His existence whatsoever, or so one thinks.

Once one realizes Who He is, it is understood all things that mean something to us are given to us by Him. We easily tend to think we achieve many things by our strength, but just to look how fragile the human being, the body and the mind are, it puts everything in proper perspective.

He is the Logos, the divine order who keeps everything in place, because everything was created though Him.

a-seeker

a-seeker

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

How does someone put Christ before anyone else? The way I have grown up I have always believed that people are the most important thing in the world. Materialistic items (money, property, power, fame) can come and go, but people stay eternal. Family, friends, and loved ones are the ones that you will always have forever. How can someone put Christ before their children and their wife/husband? If God asks you to leave your family behind, would you be able to do it?

The phrase “put Christ before” could easily suggest competition between two objects of affection; and I admit, in the Christian walk, there may come such occasions for competition and that all other claims upon our time and obedience must yield to Christ’s.  But that need hardly be the norm.  More often than not one’s love for things in this world that are proper objects of love (spouse, children, healthy love of one’s occupation) will only deepen when Christ is put first.  It is a paradox, I suppose, but not so odd as it might at first sound.  For instance, we all admit that some things must rule over our love for our children, and the end result is better, not worse, for them: wisdom must rule over mere affection; so when a child asks for a second candy bar which will spoil its dinner it is in fact love, ruled by wisdom, that says no, despite the tantrums that will ensue.

Loving God is not a prerequisite for salvation; it is salvation.  To ask why we must love God in-order to be saved is like asking why we must drink the water in order to quench our thirst. To ask the situation to be otherwise you are in fact asking for something contradictory.  Salvation consists in the removal of certain impediments which prevent us from giving our full and pure devotion to God; and conversely, once those impediments have been removed, we will discover that we love God, which is synonymous to being saved.  And until those impediments are removed, you’ll find that the “good”  you can do is quite limited.   imagine a horse who resents its rider’s control and thinks that it can get along much better without him….until it comes across a rattle snake, or winds up in a ditch with a broken leg, or in a desolate land without water.  If it had only yielded to the rider’s pressures it would have avoided all those pit-falls and dangers; it would have been led to green pastures where it could run safely and cool waters.

Hope that helps

clb

Oh, the Bible is a hard book and much of it was not written for pre-converts.  I would suggest finding a copy of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity.  It helped me back in the day with some of these questions.

Mswright6488

Mswright6488
  • Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:my first interest is Jesus.. my focus on Him and His will for my life. Getting to heaven with clean hands and a pure heart. Blessing others to know Jesus as the way... the truth..and the life

We put God first because the bible says He first loved (us) and gave Him self up for us. He created everything around us, the heavens and the earth, and He is the one that put breath in every living creature... including (us) He knew us before we were born and numbered our days. He said where we would be born and the time of our death. He called us by name and said we are precious in His site. He sent His Son... His beautiful sinless Son to die.. to die in our place so that we could be in eternity with Him forever. He died yet when we were still sinners and undeserving of this precious gift from The Father. So you see.. since He did such a selfless thing as to DIE for us and for mankind, He asks to be put first. Because He was the first in all and He is in ALL. He created us for His pleasure and glory. But most of all to fellowship with Him and love Him as He loves us and loved us when we were sinners. the bible IS TRUTH and says to love the Lord your God with all of your heart mind soul and strength. I hope this helps you some kool kid. May our Lord show you His glory. First of all we must accept Him as Lord and savoir and admit that we are sinners. We as helpless beings needed a savior to save us from hell and the wrath to come for those who do not believe on Gods one and only Son. He is... JESUS CHRIST our hope and glory and the lifter of our heads.

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Kool_kid The Lord God also considers people the most precious beings in existence, and that is why the Bible says....

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For you to truly love someone would require you first know what "love" is. God is "Love" Without God you can not love anyone truly. The reason the Lord God requires you to love him first and foremost is because when you do that, then his love flows from him to you, and then will also flow out of you to others. The Lord God is not against you loving your friends or family, in fact he demands that you do, but it is only his love that is real and everlasting.

Edwin

Edwin

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Thank you kool_kid_86 for your topic.

I also was an atheist, but then this happened.

Subject: My Conversion.

I was nearly 30 years old when the Lord saved me. For most of that time I was either agnostic, atheist, or indifferent. For as long as I can remember I have always had an insatiable thirst for knowledge. How does this work?.

How does that work?. What makes people what they are?. When my schoolboy friends were out playing games like cricket, football, or chasing girls, I would be found in the local library reading room finding out as much as I could about my latest interest.

With a name like Brain, and my interests it is no wonder I got the nickname, "The professor", or, "Mister know it all". I didn't really care what they called me, I was a loner. I would do my own thing in my own way. I particularly enjoyed a battle of wits with anyone, as I always won, or at least I thought so.

I especially looked out for people of a Religious disposition, as I really enjoyed exercising my superior knowledge, and shooting them down in flames as it were, but then one day in the late summer of 1961 when looking out of the office window where I worked, I saw in our car park a Bedford mini bus with the words, "Even Christ pleased not himself", written on its side in letters of gold 3" high.

I enquired whose this was, and the owner was pointed out to me. I made my mind up there and then that he would be my next victim. In due course I spoke to this man, and to cut a long story short he invited me to his home, to which I went for 8 successive Friday evenings.

I was very much impressed with him, he is very well educated, and also very sincere. He wanted me to become a Christian like him, and kept on asking me if I was yet ready to receive Jesus as my saviour.

I told him I could say the words he wanted me to say, but I knew that I would not mean them, not that I did not want to, I did, but I knew that it would not work if I didn't mean what I said.

The problem was the enormity of my sin, which I considered to great for God to forgive. It was near to midnight, and his wife and his 5 children were all in bed. At this point the Lord caused his youngest child a girl about 18 months old, to cry out, he excused himself and left the room, saying I don't want my wife to be disturbed, I will go and see what is the matter.

This left me alone as it were, I said to myself this man wants me to become a Christian like him, well maybe someday I will. But if I ever do then I will have to do what they do, they pray, and I don't know how to pray.

I wondered what to do next, I had opened the bible a number of times whilst visiting my friend, and often found the verses that I read spoke to me powerfully, often dealing with the very problem that I had in my mind at that moment. Now I opened it once again at random, and found myself reading Luke Ch 11 from v 1. "Teach me how to pray".

The Lord spoke to me in His still small voice, and said "Why am I doing this, why am I as it were taking time off from running this vast universe to come down into this room to be with you to cause you to open my book just where I want you to open it, to read the very verse that I want you to read that tells you that I know just what your problem is, if as you say your sin is too great for me to forgive?.

I had no answer for this, and with tears streaming down my face I looked up and said "Because you love me"...

That is how I became a Christian.

PS. The above was written about nine years ago, and before I realized the significance of the actual date of my new birth, which as it happened was Friday the 8th of December 1961, and also that it was the 8th successive Friday evening.

As I feel sure you are aware the number 8 in the Bible means, fresh start, new beginning, although all this happened more than 52 years ago, it is only recently that I have seen the connection

Every blessing

Edwin Brain.

Edited by Edwin, 30 August 2014 - 04:56 AM.

heartprint

heartprint
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, pottery, painting, art, puzzles

Awesome questions. The way that I put Christ before anyone else is to treat each person I meet as if they were Christ Himself. People are the most important thing in the world to God. Important enough to die for. Important enough to take the punishment for their sins so that He could have a relationship with them.   If I look at every person I come into contact with and realize that they are absolutely and unconditionally loved by God and that He died for them same as for me.......how can I treat them as anything less?  Family, friends and loved ones have spirits.  Our spirits are eternal and will live forever. Where they live is up to us.  Man is not a physical being on a spiritual journey, but rather a spiritual being on a physical journey.  I must put Christ first in my life in order to treat my children, husband and others the way Jesus would, as much as I am able. I'm still human and make mistakes, but with His help and His teaching, grace and love, I change a little bit at a time to become more like Him.  If God asked me to leave my family it would not be to their hurt or detriment. God wants the best for people and I don't think He would be too pleased with me if my kids hated Him because I walked out of their lives to "serve". i think any call of that kind would have to be seriously examined.  The thing with being saved is that God can't look at sin. We are all born in a sinful state. Without accepting the price paid for our sin, so that God could look at us, we can't have a relationship with Him. Jesus paid the price with HIS blood.  When we accept that gift and the relationship love comes naturally because God IS love.  Hope this helped a bit and didn't make things more confusing for you. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network