christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

is it enough just to believe?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

MarkNigro

MarkNigro

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Guest_sam,

I wrote an article, which is published in the Rapture Forums website, about how God brought me out of years of uncertainty of salvation & the accompanying misery & fear because I did not understand what "believe in Jesus" really meant. The article is a long one but it explains what God showed me in the bible about the difference in the right kind of faith and the wrong kind of faith; in other words He showed me the truth about "believing in Jesus" for forgiveness of my sins and a right relationship with Him.

If you are interested in reading about my experience use the link below. Also, I invite you to read a story about Jesus dying on the cross that I wrote for my youngest granddaughter.

The title of the article is "What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus?" The title of the story is "Do You See the Nails?"

http://www.raptureforums.com/FeaturedCommentary/whatdoesitmeantobelieveinjesus.cfm

http://www.raptureforums.com/FeaturedCommentary/doyouseethenails.cfm

I read the articles and they are quite true.

Noting can be done for salvation except to believe and trust in the crucified and risen Lord Jesus Christ, God in the flesh who shed His blood to pay for our sins.

1 Corinthians 1:17-23

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

john14:6

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Be careful about your faith. Are you trusting in yourself, in your obedience, in your actions after you “believe?” In other words are you trusting in “believing” plus your actions & obedience for salvation?

Our actions of obedience, confession, commitment, professions, praying, calling on the name of the Lord, etc. are things we should do but “saving faith” must be only in the finished work of Jesus at the cross.

I lived many years in fear & misery, doubting my salvation because I did not understand the meaning of “believe in Jesus.” God brought me out of that miserable experience when He showed me the truth of His Word about believing the Gospel for forgiveness of my sins. Today, 42 years later, I still have the peace of an absolute assurance of salvation based on the truth that God’s Holy Spirit showed me through His Word.

I wrote an article about my experience; it is published on the Rapture Forums website.

The article is “What Does it Mean to Believe in Jesus?” If interested in reading the article it can be found @ http://www.raptureforums.com/FeaturedCommentary/whatdoesitmeantobelieveinjesus.cfm

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Oh but for the grace of God.......Yes,WHOSOEVER BELIEVES in the Son of God and confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord and Savior!

Ambassador4Christ

Ambassador4Christ
  • 1 posts
It is as simple as Acts 16:30-31. This man asking the question was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners, Paul and Silas, escaped. When he realized they didn't, he asked them this question. "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" If anyone would know, Paul would surely know. He answered the man saying, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved..." He didn't say eat this, drink this, speak like this, be dunked in this, drop down like a fool and act crazy. They, Paul and Silas, didn't say "oh wait we forgot to tell him to do this" or "we showed him. He thinks he saved" No. Its exactly as they said. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you are saved.

If not Paul, how about Jesus Himself in John 11. Martha's brother died, and Jesus didn't show up until 3 days after his death. Martha was offended He didn't come sooner. She was going on about how He should have shown up sooner and her brother would have died. Jesus told her he will rise again. She thought He meant on the day of Redemption..."I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day." Jesus turned to her and looked her in the eyes, "I Am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" That's the Gospel message in two versus. Jesus looking Martha in the face gives her the Gospel in two sentences and then asks her if she believes it. Jesus didn't tell her she had to do good works to go to heaven. He didn't tell her she had to give $x to "the church" every year. He didn't tell her to go get baptized to get to heaven. He didn't tell her to do anything else than to simply believe. Surely if anyone knows how one is saved' it would be Jesus, the one who came here to save us.

Hope this helps you on your journey.

asper

asper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

As the title says, is it enough just to believe that jesus is the son of god?

E.g. i might be a believer and still do bad things every day will i still go to heaven?

If so, what about murderers who believe, what will happen to them? A lot of criminals believe, they know a lot of what they do is evil but they cant help themselves, but still pray to jesus, whats gonna happen to them?

Surely u would think that a good person who helps people evryday and beileves will go to heaven. But will a person who believes and does nothing else, receieve the same reward as the former??

Hi Sam,

Who saves who? 

Ps 65:4  Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Believing what God says doesn’t mean that you will understand how He does it.

Ro 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The question is will you believe it or will you put up scenarios to try to make this verse untrue or add other obligations for you to fulfill so in effect saving yourself?

The verses below give a brief explanation on how it works.

Eph 1:4  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5  Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6  To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7  In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

8  Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

9  Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

10  That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

11  In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

12  That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13  In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

15 ¶  Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

16  Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18  The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19  And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20  Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21  Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22  And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

1 ¶  And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3  Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 ¶  But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5  Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7  That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

11 ¶  Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12  That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13  But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 ¶  For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15  Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16  And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17  And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18  For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

As far as rewards,

1Co 3:8  Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

1Co 3:10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 ¶  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13  Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.

14  If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15  If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

God bless,

Tony,

J77

J77
  • Members
  • 7 posts

In my personal experienced I first believe and then automatically it gradually leads me to good works.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,291 posts

I hope those who are replying to "Sam" realizes that he has not been here since 2008.  This should not deter you from posting, just realize that Sam probably will never answer.

MarkNigro

MarkNigro

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

The only thing needed for salvation is faith in the crucified and risen Lord Jesus Christ and the blood He shed as the complete payment for ours sins on the cross.

Jesus Christ, who is the Lord God Almighty, proclaimed the following.

John 3:14-16

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Since belief is the only thing mentioned, it must be the only thing necessary for salvation. It cannot be belief plus anything else. If it were, then the statement would not be true. But Jesus said this, so it must be true. If someone does not believe these words spoken by Jesus Christ, then that person does not believe what Jesus Christ said. Therefore that person has not believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. John 3:14-15 and 16 are faith alone statements.

They also are eternal security (once saved, always saved) statements, else they would say might have everlasting life. If a person has everlasting life, they could never be damned. The same logic applies to the very many passages, which show that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ gives everlasting life.

From the above, we are assured by God Almighty the Saviour that if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, you are saved forever. Those that are saved through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His shed blood have all their sins paid for by that blood. They have all their sins forgiven by faith in His atoning blood. God will not remember their sins. Therefore, no passage of damnation or condemnation applies to those saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Those that have not believed by faith alone are not saved. None of their sins are paid for, forgiven, or forgotten.  Every passage of damnation or condemnation applies to them. Many of these quote the very passages that condemn them.

Paul is the apostle of the Gentiles (Romans 11:13). He got the gospel by direct revelation of Jesus Christ (Galatians 1:11-12). Jesus Christ ordained that the Gentiles should hear the gospel of salvation from Paul (see Romans 15:16 and 2 Timothy 4:17). Paul and Silas were asked a very direct question. Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said the following, which he got from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 16:30-31

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

If anything else were needed for salvation besides believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, Paul would surely have said so. Faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ and His shed blood for our sins saves.

Paul declared the gospel of salvation (the good news of Jesus Christ) in the following passage.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Paul also wrote that all those who believe the gospel of Jesus Christ are saved forever.

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek

Do you believe Jesus Christ who said:

John 6:47

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

kismet

kismet
  • Nonbeliever
  • 26 posts

E.g. i might be a believer and still do bad things every day will i still go to heaven?

If so, what about murderers who believe, what will happen to them? A lot of criminals believe, they know a lot of what they do is evil but they cant help themselves, but still pray to jesus, whats gonna happen to them?

Surely u would think that a good person who helps people evryday and beileves will go to heaven. But will a person who believes and does nothing else, receieve the same reward as the former??

I believe there is nothing we have to do. It is all in God's hands, so all we need "do" is put our trust in God, and for some that takes the form of faith, others, it may be simply residing in the "being" of God, mentally or psychologically "trusting" Him. Of course our natural reverence and love for God may be awakened such that we do good actions or refrain from doing evil actions, but this isn't necessarily the case. Ultimately it is God who does ALL things, and so there is nothing for us left to be done, but think and live....

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

I believe there is nothing we have to do. It is all in God's hands, so all we need "do" is put our trust in God, and for some that takes the form of faith, others, it may be simply residing in the "being" of God, mentally or psychologically "trusting" Him. Of course our natural reverence and love for God may be awakened such that we do good actions or refrain from doing evil actions, but this isn't necessarily the case. Ultimately it is God who does ALL things, and so there is nothing for us left to be done, but think and live....

kismet,

We do have to do something.

To believe in Jesus means more than just believing that he is the Son of God. I've heard others claim to be a Christian because they believe that Jesus is the son of God. That is not what is meant to believe in Jesus.

Believing is a work of the Holy Spirit in a person's life which leads to repentance & faith in the Gospel message. If we allow the Holy Spirit, through the Word of God to do His work in us He will convince us that we are separated from God by our sin, that we are helpless & hopeless sinners who need our sin forgiven, and that the ONLY way for our sin to be forgiven is through the finished work of God's only Son, Jesus, who died on the cross, shedding His blood there for remission of our sin.To believe in Jesus means to believe he will do what he says he will do if we come to him as a helpless hopeless sinner who desperately wants his/her sins forgiven and a new/changed life that only He can give. Jesus says in John 6:37 “all the Father gives me will come to me and anyone who comes to me I will not turn away.” The lost sinner comes to Jesus to receive forgiveness of sin and a changed life. There is nothing we can do to help Jesus save us but we must allow the Holy Spirit to do His convincing work in us which brings us to making a choice to either accept or reject God's offer of forgiveness & salvation. Our faith must be in the Gospel message & not in anything we do.

Soul

Soul
  • Members *
  • 1 posts

You should capitalize the name of Jesus, Son of God.

No, of course you can't believe and go about offending God by sinning and still go to Heaven. God is merciful but He is also just. Murders, adulterers, etc., won't inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. It's not enough to believe. God gave us rules to follow and we must follow them.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network