christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Show Must Not Go On?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

How serious can the school education system be towards kindergarten kids?
All work and no play what kind of system is this? Find out why these parents are trying to fight for their childrens rights to be children first....

School cancels kindergarten show so kids can focus on 'college and career' - Moms - TODAY.com

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

I could not believe it when my daughter told me that my grand-daughter could not keep up with her homework and this was in kindergarten.That is ridiculous.Kids need some play time and down time.We don't live in Russia  :unsure:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

Hummmm,   how many snow days have they had?    

BTW there are skills that someone going to the first grade should have to be able to keep up.....     but two days making a difference.....     wow.

My wife was a kindergarten teacher for over 20 years so I'm kind of familiar with the age group, and this article doesn't sound valid for the school or the parents.    Kindergarten is not just fun and games these days, and there are important things the kids need to have accomplished to be successful in the first grade......   but two days??????    really....

Waiting2BwithHim

Waiting2BwithHim

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

You know if you really think about it the school system can't force parents to maketheir children to go to school.
Seeing that this is just kindergarten I would have my kid stay home in protest and let him/her
be the kid they are because it will only be here once for them.
As a parent that times goes really quick..

I can't understand what the school system is actually thinking..
I bet if you ask those that are in control of this situation "did you have to think about college
when you were in kindergarten", I bet that person would blush in shame and say NO.

So then let them be kids and don't make them feel like they are going to do hard labor behind bars.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

You know if you really think about it the school system can't force parents to maketheir children to go to school.
Seeing that this is just kindergarten I would have my kid stay home in protest and let him/her
be the kid they are because it will only be here once for them.
As a parent that times goes really quick..

I can't understand what the school system is actually thinking..
I bet if you ask those that are in control of this situation "did you have to think about college
when you were in kindergarten", I bet that person would blush in shame and say NO.

So then let them be kids and don't make them feel like they are going to do hard labor behind bars.

It depends on where you live....  I think I would like to have a whole lot more information concerning everything about the situation before getting in anyone's face over it.   We complain about the level of education we give our kids these days and when they want to focus more on teaching than fun then people get all upset about that.

I'm thinking there is more to the story here.

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

I can see with many issues there are 2 sides to the story. One of the issues is some of those from kindergarten are proven not to be emotionally or scholastically ready for the first grade.

I understand that schools are trying to give kids off to a good start. But even as the Bible says
there is a time for everything. In this case waiting until the last few days of school was a very bad decision. Which goes to show you those in those departments of administration were uneducated themselves.

If they were more smarter they would have had this better planned out. These kindergarten kids
worked hard all year.28.gif Now these kids are paying the price for the mistakes that the school staff is making. And you know what? This happens all the time. When you're a grown up at work the upper supervisers will make mistakes and try to make the employees make up for them. Hey give these kids a break and let the show go on.10.gif

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

I think since we make teachers go to college for four or five years to get certificates to teach and make them practice for a half year or so, it's pretty presumptuous for us to tell them how to their business.    I think it's perfectly fine to tell them what we want them taught, but how they do it should be left up to them....

Edited by other one, 30 April 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Cletus

Cletus

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
Thats laughable since grades 1-12 dont prepare kids for much of anything. For instance in algebra they dont teach rise over run is how you build stairs. They just teach the application so you can pass a state apptitude test so the school can get paid. In other countries highschool graduates are ready for a technical job, here in the states a high school diploma gets you a job flipping patties. I am so glad i dont have kids.

Edited by Cletus, 01 May 2014 - 10:08 PM.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Thats laughable since grades 1-12 dont prepare kids for much of anything. For instance in algebra they dont teach rise over run is how you build stairs. They just teach the application so you can pass a state apptitude test so the school can get paid. In other countries highschool graduates are ready for a technical job, here in the states a high school diploma gets you a job flipping patties. I am so glad i dont have kids.

Yes,the new bachelors degree is a masters.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts
Votec classes will get you more jobs than 4 years of college.

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Hi other one. If we are the tax payers to the education system then we ought to have some say about our children, how they are taught and how they are treated. You have the wrong attitude.

This is the danger of this new common core way of teaching students being more robotic tactics and less human. So even if you can create a person to learn English or Science if they are treated robotic they may not make good decisions in real life circumstances.

Some of the most intelligent people are also the worse criminals just as James Holmes who shot all those people at the movie theatre. It was believed he was socially somewhat a reject and a loner. This is the kind of person out of our educations most top college graduate. And all he can come up with is making these bombs and taking vengeance on society. Because when a person only has information inside their head and not of sound moral reasoning they can blow up like a tsunami.

I have friend who works at Boeing. They are hard workers who create these planes with modern technology. But do you also know Boeing has the most fun activities throughout the year? It means a lot for these employees to take a day or half day off of work to enjoy a fun golf tournament, picnics, weight lifting contests and other holiday festivities. In what way did these occasions hinder the abilities of the men and women to perform at there most highest potential of being inventive, creative, skilled, determined, and motivated, to do their jobs right?

These occasions did not hurt them at all. It actually boosted these people to feel better about where they work. Because no matter how much they are trained or skilled we are created by God. We still have feelings and emotions. It is fact in Corinthians we are told that even with all prophecy, with all knowledge, with all giving to the poor, without love, then knowledge then prophecy nor giving to the poor has no value without love.

This play therefore is not so much about learning but showing compassion on these children, and letting them share the little tykes they really are. They need to learn but this is not Marine Steve Wilcos boot camp take my orders approach. :laughing:

You know some of the kids go home to a deserted home where they may not see much love around them. How much would a play like this mean to them? Surely a lot. I remember the Keystone cops on my close up Washington Dc trip. Even Washington DC, to learn about government, uses both serious learning, lectures, and includes fun things for kids to do. In between all the fun.. we learned about the legislative, executive and the judicial branches and about the Peace Corp and the monuments.

So if you really want to motivate kids and realize they are just kids teach them structure but also allow some fun time. Because if we don’t allow them to be children in between the more important aspects don’t expect them to smile or laugh. They will become robots knowing English, Science, and Math and yet making poor decisions in our society. And people will ask them why are you so emotionally so fixed on facts and numbers and you can’t’ deal with these issues? They will reply I went to school. I was taught this way because even the Garden of Eden had the tree of knowledge.

We learned knowledge alone was not enough. It is the life that God wants us to have. So we can’t go out into the world after school just by knowledge alone. We must have the spiritual and ethical moral way of thinking things out. Because our connection to God is heart, minds, body, soul and spirit. If we only have knowledge that’s all Satan can offer us and if we add our heart, soul, and spirit along with our minds than we can more potentially deal with life in the way God wants us to.

Darwin only wants us to feed our minds. But the Lord wants us to have nourishment to our spirit as well. . It’s a balance. This is why these kids deserved to have a play. Detach first work before play and now let them have a little enjoyment.. Give your life some fun and put a little fun in your life. . We’re just human. God made us this way.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Blessings Everyone....

I don't know the half of it & I just get the feeling that these parents are making much ado about nothing......so what they don't have a show in May but instead they will have a "game day"?There will be plenty of shows & recitals throughout their elementary school years & half the day in kindergarten is coloring & lots of fun time anyway,that they will always remember & cherish(I know I do) & I don't ever remember a show day.......

They also mentioned in the article that because of limited funding the classes have been reduced to half days?So with half days & all the missed school days due to extreme weather I suppose the school wants to get the most out of the time they do have......as other one said,there are two sides to every story.If its such a big deal to the parents then they should put something together themselves & have it on a Saturday......perhaps if they would have went to the principle to suggest an extra curricular activity they may have even let them use the school auditorium for such an event........ :noidea: you get more bees with honey,,,,

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Waiting2BwithHim

Waiting2BwithHim

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Honestly does anyone really think what these kids learn in the 2 days they will remember anyway when the time

comes for them to need to know?

If it is tradition to have this for the kids then why break tradition because of the bad weather that was not in their control?

Isn't it in high school that gives you SAT tests to prepare for you college? At least a high school would better understand the whole deal then a kindergartener.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network