christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

why does God

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Why does God want us to confess our sins and admit our need for forgiveness to Him? Is it for His benefit for for ours?

This is a devotional question I been pondering and cant' seem to figure it out. It's a good question and I have to wonder why I never asked it myself?

LookingForAnswers

LookingForAnswers

• Seeker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

It is for our benefit, it is part of the forgiveness process.  There is a mindset that comes with confessing our sins and admitting that we need God that is needed for repentance.

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

I wonder if He wants us to confess to Him to bring us closer together because sin separates us from God because God is Holy and pure and righteous and maybe He wants us to confess so He can help us with those areas? Is the act of confessing to God our sins to help us become more humble?

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

The scriptures used for this devotion were There is no condemnation for those In Christ Jesus Romans 8:1,  Those who have faith in Jesus are justified Romans 3:26 and The one In Hebrews 8:12 about how God is going to forgive their wickedness and remember the sins no more.

I just realized that having scriptures might help with answering these questions.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I just realized that having scriptures might help with answering these questions.

Most questions pertaining to God and our walk can be found in the scriptures.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Confession of sin will help to keep us from the discipline of the Lord.Proper fellowship with God can't happen with unconfessed sin in our lives.

CurtisCWilson

CurtisCWilson

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

There are actually two things happening when we confess our sins. First God forgives us, this for his benefit. Then he cleanses us from all unrighteousness, that is for our benefit.

Sin breaks communion with God. Confessing our sins restores that communion back. I like to call it doing my laundry. I dislike doing laundry, but it is very needful.

I found something very interesting in the Book of Revelations. The King James bible says it like this......

Rev 22:14  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.(KJV)

All other translations of the Bible say it like this.....

Rev 22:14  Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.(ESV)

Doing God's commandments is the same thing as washing our robes, that is conffesing our sins to him.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Proverbs 28:13 (NASB95)
13 He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.

First of all, "confess" is in the Greek homologeo is to come alongside / to agree on what was done. The Prodigal Son had a well rehearsed speech to admit to his father his sin but the father scarce gave him time to spit it out before throwing his arms around his son. I believe it is more a heart set than a specific process or utterance. We humans are real good at white washing our own sins and putting off facing them down until they are forgotten. 

God still loathes sin (of every kind). 

Think of some beloved young relative or friend or child of a friend who endured in innocence a terrible tragedy. The love and compassion you feel for that kid, and how you loathe whatever or whoever caused that child hurt or pain or death...

Now you are just beginning to understand how much the Father loves the Son and loathes the sin that he shed his blood for.

1 John 2:1 (NASB95)
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

The NIV more accurately translates the "And" to be a "But" bringing out the element of this era of Grace. This is not to say all sins is automatically forgiven even though the next verse would seem to support the universalism belief....

1 John 2:2 (NASB95)
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

The other universalism favorite verse is:

1 Timothy 4:10 (NASB95)
10 For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

But since the scripture also says:

John 3:16-18 (NASB95)
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
17 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jesus is the potential Savior of all men and but the actual Savior of believing men and women.

Psalm 32:5 (NASB95)
5 I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”; And You forgave the guilt of my sin.Selah.

Psalm 51 (NASB95)

1 For the choir director. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me.
4 Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
6 Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness, Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
9 Hide Your face from my sins And blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners will be converted to You.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation; Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips, That my mouth may declare Your praise.
16 For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
18 By Your favor do good to Zion; Build the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices, In burnt offering and whole burnt offering; Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

Here's the thing. Since we sin, it would be best if God raptured us into heaven the moment we believe in Jesus. It would spar God and us a ton of grief.

But we remain.

Ever wonder why?

To get others saved. That's how much God values believers in his Son.

In a real sense, when we believers do anything not specifically aimed (in some form or fashion) at getting others saved... we are sinning.

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
I don't think it is a 'need to' but a 'can we'.
If the Holy Spitit taps us on the shoulder and it is in us to accept Him and He cleanses us we can't keep it in.
It is the best/happiest day of our life.
Confession is a part of accepting process.

As I see it.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

If you practice confession you will understand the benefits of it provided you are thorough, truly repentant and honest in your efforts.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

God's will is perfect for you, and sin brings death. So when you repent you are bringing God's life back into your own life. God is life, blessings. :)

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network