Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

20 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

In my opinion, atheism requires a great deal of faith.  If you rule out the existence of any god (i.e., a rational agent that brings life into existence), then you must also believe that a non-rational agent created human life.  But given that humans are creatures capable of rational thought, this means that atheism entails the belief that a non-rational cause produced a rational result.  I have never seen any evidence that this has ever occurred. 

And not only does it require faith to believe that the cause of human life is a composite of non-rational, entirely random forces (in the absence of evidence that non-rational agents can produce rational beings), but it also calls into question the credibility of human Reason.  Given that reason is what atheists tend to pride themselves on, it would seem that this would cause them problems.

I have never heard a convincing counter to this objection.  Maybe someone else has?

Here is a link to a succinct essay that addresses this and other issues that atheism leaves unresolved:

http://www.meditations-on-life.com/why-i-am-not-an-atheist-christianity-atheism-faith-reason/

Also, has anyone seen a convincing rebuttal of C.S. Lewis's revised argument against naturalism in Miracles?  I am aware that he revised it due to some objections when it was presented as an independent article; but to my knowledge he addressed those objections in the revisions.  And I have not seen any objections to his revised argument.

Posted · Report post

Interesting first post.

Welcome to Worthy.

Posted · Report post

Welcome.

Posted · Report post

Blessings sfeivel.....

Welcome to Worthy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can probably get alot of responses to your OP when it is posted in an appropriate forum,this is the Welcome Forum where you basically give a little introduction about yourself & you are greeted and welcomed,You have to have 5 posts before you can start a topic....................

I just don't want you to be disappointed if you get few replies,there are so many different people here & everyone tends to frequent the Forums that they each have their own interests or favorite topics.................when you have 5 posts start a thread & you will have a great many discussions....glad you are here,God bless you

With love ,in Christ,Kwik

Posted · Report post

I would disagree.  Atheists have "beliefs" in many things, some of them justified, but I would not say an atheist has faith.  Faith is a much more precious entity than we would think.  Not only is it beliefs, some of which are without proof, but it also encompasses a degree of trust for the object of our faith.  This is echoed by Thomas Aquinas's observation:  To those with faith, no explanation is necessary.  To those without faith, no explanation is possible.  As far as non rational processes being proposed for development of life, it is fair to say that there are mechanisms which are not controlled by a rational intelligence in these people's minds.  Natural selection comes to mind.  It is definitely not a rational process, but it is indeed a nonrandom mechanism for change.  Imho, I would not cheapen the concept of faith in describing what these people think.

Posted · Report post

Welcome~!

Posted · Report post

Welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself.

Posted · Report post

Welcome!

Posted · Report post

Welcome, God bless you :)

Posted · Report post

:)

I suppose it boils down to one's definition of faith.

Posted · Report post

all i can say to you is this

listen to this song

Posted · Report post

In my opinion, atheism requires a great deal of faith.  If you rule out the existence of any god (i.e., a rational agent that brings life into existence), then you must also believe that a non-rational agent created human life.  But given that humans are creatures capable of rational thought, this means that atheism entails the belief that a non-rational cause produced a rational result.  I have never seen any evidence that this has ever occurred. 

And not only does it require faith to believe that the cause of human life is a composite of non-rational, entirely random forces (in the absence of evidence that non-rational agents can produce rational beings), but it also calls into question the credibility of human Reason.  Given that reason is what atheists tend to pride themselves on, it would seem that this would cause them problems.

I have never heard a convincing counter to this objection.  Maybe someone else has?

Here is a link to a succinct essay that addresses this and other issues that atheism leaves unresolved:

http://www.meditations-on-life.com/why-i-am-not-an-atheist-christianity-atheism-faith-reason/

Also, has anyone seen a convincing rebuttal of C.S. Lewis's revised argument against naturalism in Miracles?  I am aware that he revised it due to some objections when it was presented as an independent article; but to my knowledge he addressed those objections in the revisions.  And I have not seen any objections to his revised argument.

Very interesting first post, welcome to Worthy, we would love to see you in chat.  

Posted · Report post

Hello and welcome to Worthy!

Posted · Report post

I might get shot  down for this but I have always thought that it takes far more faith to be an atheist then to be a believer.  To think that this world not to mention the other solar systems like ours with billions of planets and stars just happened out of nothing, and to believe man in a body that works like it does, and to have a "higher power" count all those stars and then has a name for each one, to have that all just happen takes a lot of faith.  Psalms says in 147:3-5 "He heals the broken hearted , He binds up their wounds, He counts the stars and He call them all  them all by name.  Great is our Lord and mighty in power. To believe it all just happens with no plan behind it well just makes no sense to me. As for me I know that God is real and He knows me better then I know myself.  Praise God He does!

Because He Lives!!!

RustyAngeL

Posted · Report post

Welcome~!

Posted · Report post

Howdy Pal. Coffee sure is good this mornin'. Grab ya a cup!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome, Feivel.

Atheism IS a matter of faith, just like any other belief. For that reason there can be no "convincing" argument against, or for it. What I mean is that, if you have faith in atheism, there is no argument that will alter your faith. Just like any other belief.

I know that there is a God, and that He is the God of the Bible. Irrelevant to the faith of atheism, however.

It's astronomically impossible for abiogenesis to have happened. Mathmaticians consider it an impossibility, in fact. That being said...there is the one chance in billions upon billions upon billions, that it happened. (right) However small the chance, it's still there.

So, you can believe in God, or you can believe in the billions upon billions upon billions, of  chance. Yeah, that takes faith. Still, you can (honestly) have faith in either one.

I've found one thing that you can't honestly have faith in, either way. Morality.

Since God made everything (and He did) there is a moral law. Universal. Absolute. Objective. Pick whichever word you choose to represent this idea...

If there were no God then morality would be completely non existent. Absent. Relative. Subjective. Pick whichever word you choose to represent this idea...

We can argue, based upon faith, if there is a God or if there isn't...what we can't argue (according to logic) is that true morality exists outside the presence of a Creator of Everything. It doesn't.

We can break it down into easier terms to comprehend. God = morality. Atheism = no morality. Either one is intellectually honest. Just pick one and move on (for all you atheists).

But, you're right. Atheism takes more faith. Unless you're willing to throw morality under the bus.

Edited by Rodion_Raskolnikov_

Posted · Report post

welcome to worthy

Posted · Report post

Welcome to worthy!

Posted · Report post

Welcome