christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Faith of the Atheist

* * * * * 1 votes Christian Apologetics atheism christianity faith philosophy c.s. lewis g.k. chesterton

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

sfeivel

sfeivel
  • 1 posts

In my opinion, atheism requires a great deal of faith.  If you rule out the existence of any god (i.e., a rational agent that brings life into existence), then you must also believe that a non-rational agent created human life.  But given that humans are creatures capable of rational thought, this means that atheism entails the belief that a non-rational cause produced a rational result.  I have never seen any evidence that this has ever occurred. 

And not only does it require faith to believe that the cause of human life is a composite of non-rational, entirely random forces (in the absence of evidence that non-rational agents can produce rational beings), but it also calls into question the credibility of human Reason.  Given that reason is what atheists tend to pride themselves on, it would seem that this would cause them problems.

I have never heard a convincing counter to this objection.  Maybe someone else has?

Here is a link to a succinct essay that addresses this and other issues that atheism leaves unresolved:

http://www.meditatio...m-faith-reason/

Also, has anyone seen a convincing rebuttal of C.S. Lewis's revised argument against naturalism in Miracles?  I am aware that he revised it due to some objections when it was presented as an independent article; but to my knowledge he addressed those objections in the revisions.  And I have not seen any objections to his revised argument.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Interesting first post.

Welcome to Worthy.

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
Welcome.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts

Blessings sfeivel.....

Welcome to Worthy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can probably get alot of responses to your OP when it is posted in an appropriate forum,this is the Welcome Forum where you basically give a little introduction about yourself & you are greeted and welcomed,You have to have 5 posts before you can start a topic....................

I just don't want you to be disappointed if you get few replies,there are so many different people here & everyone tends to frequent the Forums that they each have their own interests or favorite topics.................when you have 5 posts start a thread & you will have a great many discussions....glad you are here,God bless you

With love ,in Christ,Kwik

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

I would disagree.  Atheists have "beliefs" in many things, some of them justified, but I would not say an atheist has faith.  Faith is a much more precious entity than we would think.  Not only is it beliefs, some of which are without proof, but it also encompasses a degree of trust for the object of our faith.  This is echoed by Thomas Aquinas's observation:  To those with faith, no explanation is necessary.  To those without faith, no explanation is possible.  As far as non rational processes being proposed for development of life, it is fair to say that there are mechanisms which are not controlled by a rational intelligence in these people's minds.  Natural selection comes to mind.  It is definitely not a rational process, but it is indeed a nonrandom mechanism for change.  Imho, I would not cheapen the concept of faith in describing what these people think.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,778 posts

Welcome~!

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,429 posts
Welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Welcome!

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Welcome, God bless you :)

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network