Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

christians and non-believers with worry...

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Lets discuss why christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers? any thoughts, care to share? I have my own thoughts on this but would like to see what others think.

Posted · Report post

Because were all human

Posted · Report post

Because too many folks are passive believers. Giving up our cares to the Lord and not worrying takes an active leap of faith.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lets discuss why christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers? any thoughts, care to share? I have my own thoughts on this but would like to see what others think.

As the patriot2013 notes, because we are human. Faith or Christianity is a means to deal with those aspects of our human condition. Note sure why having what is natural is a condition to defined as guilt.

Edited by joyjuice

Posted · Report post

Because too many folks are passive believers. Giving up our cares to the Lord and not worrying takes an active leap of faith.

I fully agree. Faith is the means to leave the flesh, or natural way behind, trusting in Him to guide us through. This does require a strong relationship with God, strong enough to know when and how He is guiding us through situations. Faith is the active ingredient in our lives that connects us to Him.

Posted · Report post

I would have to say that a lot of atheists that I have met live their lives without any guilt, worry, or anxiety. According to atheists there really is no moral code besides the one that you make but I will say that many of them do have pretty decent moral codes.(they can't justify their morals though) Maybe it's them kidding themselves into thinking that they're better than us? In god's law however all are guilty and deserve punishment. Well hope that was helpful.

Posted · Report post

Because were all human

Yup. And when we think we are perfected in trusting in the Lord, suddenly we get hit with circumstances that stretch that trust, and it is like we have to re-learn how to take a leap of faith.

Posted · Report post

As a non Christian, and in fact non religious, just like everyone else we do worry and get anxienty just as anyone else. And yes, contrary I guess to some views, there is a moral code for us non believers.

I think the atheist (which I am not) position is there is no absolute moral code.

Posted · Report post

Don't worry be happy!

You know...we had bought a new roof last year and its been developing leaks since the time it was put on even unto this very day. In fact three more leaks have started inside the house just this week. I think its all how you look at it because rain can be relaxing.

So I looked again at the situation (after grabbing another bucket) and comforted myself by singing the raindrops song...

"Raindrops keep falling on my head

But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red

Crying's not for me

Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'

Because I'm free

Nothing's worrying me..."

Whose worried bout wet stuff, ceiling stains, mold issues, resale values and all of that?

Awh...I'm just pulling your legs, Ive hyperventilated a couple of times already and had my first Linda Blair (from the exorcist) moment just this week.

Which freaked me out because I didn't know I was capable of doing that head spinning thing she did or talk in that same creepy tone lol

I really want to write a sweet message to the corporation hired contractors across my roof itelf (in giant letters) just so everyone could see it on my own property (but from Google earth). Its my property, I cant help people from all over the world can see my roof message (lol)

I just gotta think of what I want to say.

Because if you do such a thing right it could be pretty funny (and go viral) and make tweeking their noses fun (while getting my message across that I am so not pleased.

Then make Tee shirts or something, but Im still thinking through the details lol

Posted · Report post

If it helps, I was highly amused by what you just wrote!

Posted · Report post

The obvious answer to me Is that anyone's faith can waver under extreme conditions.  Ask Peter.  At the same time, who says Christians as a whole worry as much as unbelievers?  Has there been any survey done that shows that to be true?  I can't deny at times worrying about things, but without something concrete showing no difference between the world and Christians, I am not even sure this is true. 

Posted · Report post

Show of hands:

Who here has not been worried over anything last year?

Posted · Report post

Show of hands:

The question is not whether or not we have worried over things in the last year.  The question is whether or not Christians worry as much as non-believers.  There is no question nearly everyone worries about something at times in their life.  Return to the first sentence of the OP. 

"Lets discuss why Christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers."  Who is to say they are? 

Posted · Report post

Show of hands:

*raises hand*

just kidding. like anyone else I do worry. not as most as many though, it actually makes my wife really angry how easy going I am about a lot of things. shes like "arnt you worried about that?" (usually about finances) and im like, nope life goes on one way or another. lol. I do have my fair share though.

Posted · Report post

Born again Christians never have to worry about going to hell.

Nonbelievers are unable to worry about it because they've already been deceived. (spiritually blinded)

If every nonbeliever knew in their heart they were headed to hell, there would be more Christians. (and probably that wouldn't even change their minds)

Posted · Report post

Why I worry?  The short answer is because I have a very over active imagination. It is both a talent and a curse. The long answer will take more time to explain which I can not do right now. Maybe later.

Posted · Report post

Show of hands:

The question is not whether or not we have worried over things in the last year.  The question is whether or not Christians worry as much as non-believers.  There is no question nearly everyone worries about something at times in their life.  Return to the first sentence of the OP.

I asked because some of the responses gave the impression that a real Christian never worries or that the person writing the post is above worry.

So, my question does relate to the OP. Check for logs in your own eye first, then respond.

"Lets discuss why christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers?"

Ask first, "Do I worry, have I worried?" If the answer is yes, then ask yourself, "Why do I worry?" Then answer the question presented.

I say, yes, I have worried. Do I overcome that worry by trusting in the Lord and surrendering the circumstances to Him? I make the effort, but I fail so, so very often.

If someone here can claim they likewise do not have this struggle, then please share your story with examples how you have become Teflon to worry.

Posted · Report post

Christians are human. Are child is in the hospital ill we are going to worry. But we should be able to have peace through anything, We should not stress the small stuff like what we ware, or when are next meal is. But if we do remember you are human and repent. We are always growing.

Posted · Report post

oh wow...lol...this topic is going in all different directions than what I had hoped for it but i must say it does make for a good discussion.

First of all, thank you for those who have responded, and no I do not think I am above worry, infact far from it.

My answer to the question is.... we all get "busy" with life and sometimes crowd God out at times and by doing this can bring on worry and frustrations. As for being human, yes we are human and have feelings and concerns but God gave us His word and Jesus to tap in here with, does this set us apart from the non-believers?  When we stay connected to God, we find the peace even through the storms of life. I am learning as well on here as most of you are. This thought came across my mind and I wanted to share it openly to see if we have the same views.

blessings,

desi

Posted · Report post

Christians are human. Are child is in the hospital ill we are going to worry. But we should be able to have peace through anything, We should not stress the small stuff like what we ware, or when are next meal is. But if we do remember you are human and repent. We are always growing.

Unfortunately, most of us do worry about things like that, in spite of the fact Jesus said not to.  The only thing this indicates to me is lack of faith.  There may be some people out there that never worry about anything, but I can't say I have come to that place yet.  It is certainly something to work on. 

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, most of us do worry about things like that, in spite of the fact Jesus said not to.  The only thing this indicates to me is lack of faith. 

I believe, rather, that Jesus told us not to worry because He knows we need hope and encouragement to hang on to Him, making the effort to trust He will take care of us. The word is meant to set us free when we feel afraid and anxious, not condemn us when we fail.

If we believe that trials are meant to make us grow, then we should know there will be trials that will stretch our faith, which does mean that we will yet again have to overcome worry.

Posted · Report post

As a non Christian, and in fact non religious, just like everyone else we do worry and get anxiety just as anyone else. And yes, contrary I guess to some views, there is a moral code for us non believers. I think the atheist (which I am not) position is there is no absolute moral code.

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Most Folk Step On It

What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written:

“So that you may be proved right when you speak

and prevail when you judge.” Romans 3:3-4 (NIV)

Some Step Through It

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:16-17 (ESV)

~

Wise Guy

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent, and revealed them to little children. Matthew 11:25 (NASB)

Are You Really

Yes, Father, for this was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son decides to reveal him. Matthew 11:26-27 (NASB)

All That

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)

Wise

“The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand. “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:35-36 (NASB)

Love, Joe

Posted · Report post

I asked because some of the responses gave the impression that a real Christian never worries or that the person writing the post is above worry.

So, my question does relate to the OP. Check for logs in your own eye first, then respond.

"Lets discuss why christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers?"

Ask first, "Do I worry, have I worried?" If the answer is yes, then ask yourself, "Why do I worry?" Then answer the question presented.

I say, yes, I have worried. Do I overcome that worry by trusting in the Lord and surrendering the circumstances to Him? I make the effort, but I fail so, so very often.

If someone here can claim they likewise do not have this struggle, then please share your story with examples how you have become Teflon to worry.

And that takes an active faith. 

Bad thing happens. I fret over what is going on. Then I remind myself Im a Christian and to give it over to the Lord. Sometimes I fail. But giving it over to Him is what we are supposed to do.

Posted · Report post

OK I confess to having once been a chronic worrier. There are certain scriptures that I have practicly memorized because I have lived in and leaned on them so much, applying them to my circumstances. The whole chapters help, but some (default NKJV) highlights are:

Psalms 34, I sought the Lord and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

Psalms 37 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret, it leads only to evildoing (NASV)

Matthew 6:19-34 Store up treasures in heaven

Father takes care of the birds but we are of more value than they

The lilies of the field--O you of little faith

Your heavenly Father knows you have need of all these

Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you.

Don't worry about tomorrow--Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Philippeans 4:5-9 Rejoice in the Lord always--The Lord is at hand!!!!

Be anxious for nothing----with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God;

And the peace of God, which passes understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally brethern, meditate on GOOD stuff, even if it means to turn off the news and bury the newspaper. (My paraphrase.)

These do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your manner of life be without love of money, being satisfied with your present circumstances. For He himself has said, and the statement is on record, I will not, I will not cease to sustain you and uphold you. I will not, I will not, I will not let your down. So that, being of good courage we are saying, The Lord is my helper. I will not fear, what can man do to me? Wuest, Amp., ALT3 agree.

(The empasis in the Greek is not usually fully translated.)

Romans 8: 26-39 (Pray earnestly from the heart with the help of the Holy Spirit); He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

All things work for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

If God is for us, who can be against us. It is Christ, who died, and furthermore is risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

In all these things we are more than conquerers through Him who loved us.

(Nothing) shall serperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And so, once again I preach to myself. Thank you for the reminder, folks. These passages bring much peace to the soul, especially the Phil. Passage about praying with thanksgiving, remembering all answered prayers and the promises mentioned above. Then, to train my mind to meditate on positive stuff. I can get in such a rut of moaning and complaining, worrying about Target sending me a notice that my personal info may have been stolen, and about my root canal that I have on Wednesday. But God is so good to help me get my eyes back on Him Who is my hope and my strength. His love surely does cast out all fear and fill me with His rejoicing. The LORD is at hand! It is the enemy who tries to steal my joy and destroy my effectiveness in the lives of others by weighing me down with the cares of this life and with worry.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0