christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hollywood, take Mel Gibson off your Blacklist

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
"How ironic is it that Hollywood studios walk on eggshells with faith-based groups hoping their religious epics like Noah do a fraction of the business Mel Gibson did with The Passion Of The Christ, while those studios continue to shun Gibson like a leper? What better way to commemorate Passion‘s 10th anniversary than journalist Allison Hope Weiner‘s examination of her relationship with Gibson and how it evolved ..."

http://news.yahoo.co...-214854535.html

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

I did find Passion of the Christ somewhat anti-Semitic, if not deliberately so, then that's how it came across. Gibson himself is a controversial figure who has made some anti-Semitic comments too.

However, Hollywood seems to shun him, not for any of this but because of his Conservative political views. Hollywood doesn't care about moral values, but it dislikes anyone that doesn't follow its Liberal agenda.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Too many generalties and sweeping conclusions have already occurred to engender conversation

That may just be me of course  

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Too many generalties and sweeping conclusions have already occurred to engender conversation

That may just be me of course  

In what way?

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

The article itself.

However, as I stated, that may just be me. 

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

Gibson may be ostracized by Hollywood for conservative views but we, as Christians, should not see him as a role model because of his anti-Semitic views.  Not to mention a questionable personal life.  He's no choir boy.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

The article itself.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the comments.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,543 posts
LoL. did you ever know a choir boy well. Still not sure where that phrase got the pure thoughts it is supposed to reflect. Gibson would fit right in with the ones I know. Being a pre vatican II beliver it would be his nature to be antisemitic. They killed his savior according to what he's been taught all his life besides what his father had taught him.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Gibson may be ostracized by Hollywood for conservative views but we, as Christians, should not see him as a role model because of his anti-Semitic views.  Not to mention a questionable personal life.  He's no choir boy.

Yes you're right. I think my point was that Hollywood doesn't care whether Gibson is anti-Semitic or not (although they may pretend that is a reason), they will have some false moral attitude about what he says and does, but it all boils down to his politics.

If his politics were in tune with theirs they wouldn't care about his morals.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

The article itself.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the comments.

I can see how you might have thought so.  I wasn't all that clear.  

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

LoL. did you ever know a choir boy well. Still not sure where that phrase got the pure thoughts it is supposed to reflect. Gibson would fit right in with the ones I know. Being a pre vatican II beliver it would be his nature to be antisemitic. They killed his savior according to what he's been taught all his life besides what his father had taught him.

He also said a while ago that only Catholics were saved.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,543 posts

that is pre vatican II teaching

it is my understanding that he has funded the building of a church and gotten permission to have Mas in Latin. He is a dedicated Roman Catholic.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

that is pre vatican II teaching

it is my understanding that he has funded the building of a church and gotten permission to have Mas in Latin. He is a dedicated Roman Catholic.

I don't know what pre Vatican II teaching is, but they've certainly changed a lot since then. They've gone from saying that only Catholics are saved to saying that just about everybody is saved. :hmmm:

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,042 posts
I don't know what pre Vatican II teaching is, but they've certainly changed a lot since then. They've gone from saying that only Catholics are saved to saying that just about everybody is saved. :hmmm:

~

Some Teach That Given Enough Time In Purgatory, Hell Will Somehow Cook The Sin Out

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

But No Hell Nor Even The Eternal Rolling Lake Of Fire

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Will Save A

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 1 Peter 1:18-21

Fellow

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

For Only Jesus

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

Saves

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, Revelation 1:5

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

I'm sure he probably does believe that....but he's wrong. And I don't see him as a role model for Christians at all.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

I won't take Mel Gibson or Hollywood thankyouverymuch. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,543 posts

I'm sure he probably does believe that....but he's wrong. And I don't see him as a role model for Christians at all.
well I would think that if I did I'd be an old time catholic. Since I'm much closer to a Nazarene I think I'd have to agree with you. However I do understand why he is as he is.

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
We REALLY need to pray for Mel. The devil has really attacked him after the making of "The Passion of the Christ" as far as his personal life, he is broken and struggles in many ways. I remember how popular he was before "The Passion".

It is a shame that Hollywood has turned their back on him. I think he is a very gifted and talented man.

As far as his comment about only Catholics going to Heaven. That is how he was taught it is wrong but how many other denominations claim they are the only ones going to heaven?

I suggest we pray for people like Mel Gibson and not make his frailties gossip.

By the way Catholics do not use the protestant term "saved"

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

We REALLY need to pray for Mel. The devil has really attacked him after the making of "The Passion of the Christ" as far as his personal life, he is broken and struggles in many ways. I remember how popular he was before "The Passion".

It is a shame that Hollywood has turned their back on him. I think he is a very gifted and talented man.

As far as his comment about only Catholics going to Heaven. That is how he was taught it is wrong but how many other denominations claim they are the only ones going to heaven?

What do Catholics use instead of saved?

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

What do Catholics use instead of saved?

It's complicated.

"Believing in Jesus Christ and the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation ... without faith no one has ever obtained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life 'but he who endures to the end'" -- Catechism of the Catholic Church #161.

Also, although salvation comes from God alone, since we receive this faith through the Church, she is our mother and teacher in that faith.
"We believe the Church as the mother of our new birth, and not in the church as if she were the author of our salvation." Catechism, #169.

I said it was complicated, and note that according to Webster, to obtain is to "gain or attain, usually through planning or effort".

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network