christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question Regarding Deleted Posts

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

please_pray_for_me

please_pray_for_me
  • Members *
  • 21 posts

I had a topic posted "Children and Religion" in which I wanted to explore the rationale behind indoctrinating children with religious beliefs, whether or not treating them as sickly and in danger of eternal damnation is helpful or harmful to their psychological well-being, and whether or not doubt and information that disagrees with Christian orthodoxy ought to be discouraged or studied and understood. I remained polite and honest but critical and objective in my questioning, as anyone with a sincere approach to any topic should do, and it appears to have been deleted. I take that as basically confirming my biggest concern about Christianity, as with all cults and religions--the word is to be taken at face value, and anything that challenges that common wisdom is to be oppressed and destroyed. I looked around to see where I could ask a mod about this but did not find a specific forum to do so. Why was the thread deleted? Understandably, one of the "Christian" members who responded (claiming to speak for all the others) appeared upset that I pressed them on some of their unjustified claims, noted by their arrogant and disrespectful tone towards me (assuming I "just can't get it" unless I drink the kool-aid first--which, by the way, I have, and ultimately found its contents distasteful), but I can't see that as reasonable cause to delete the thread. Not to mention, it's an important discussion that believers and unbelievers should be having among themselves and one another. Is there a general criteria by which threads get deleted? Or is it simply if a so-called "Christian" doesn't like having their views challenged, they can request that the questions simply "go away"?

Edited by pickup_shonuff, 22 June 2014 - 06:40 PM.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
I want you to look at the first words of your paragraph. You use words like indoctrinating them and treating them as "sickly" these words and the way you use them suggest that you are not interested in an honest discussion at all but that your mind is made up and you just want to pick a fight. In which case yes it was deleted. If that was not your goal then perhaps think through your choice of words next time so people don't get the wrong impression

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

I had a topic posted "Children and Religion" in which I wanted to explore the rationale behind indoctrinating children with religious beliefs, whether or not treating them as sickly and in danger of eternal damnation is helpful or harmful to their psychological well-being, and whether or not doubt and information that disagrees with Christian orthodoxy ought to be discouraged or studied and understood. I remained polite and honest but critical and objective in my questioning, as anyone with a sincere approach to any topic should do, and it appears to have been deleted. I take that as basically confirming my biggest concern about Christianity, as with all cults and religions--the word is to be taken at face value, and anything that challenges that common wisdom is to be oppressed and destroyed. I looked around to see where I could ask a mod about this but did not find a specific forum to do so. Why was the thread deleted? Understandably, one of the "Christian" members who responded (claiming to speak for all the others) appeared upset that I pressed them on some of their unjustified claims, noted by their arrogant and disrespectful tone towards me (assuming I "just can't get it" unless I drink the kool-aid first--which, by the way, I have, and ultimately found its contents distasteful), but I can't see that as reasonable cause to delete the thread. Not to mention, it's an important discussion that believers and unbelievers should be having among themselves and one another. Is there a general criteria by which threads get deleted? Or is it simply if a so-called "Christian" doesn't like having their views challenged, they can request that the questions simply "go away"?

Someday we all will stand before the Lord,what would you say when you stand before a Holy God when He will ask you what you did with Jesus,what will you say?

please_pray_for_me

please_pray_for_me
  • Members *
  • 21 posts
Patriot, you object to me using the word sickly but do you object to your fellow Christians asserting that children need a doctor for their souls? What does someone who needs doctor imply? It implies someone is sick. And what's wrong with the word "indoctrination"?

"Indoctrination often refers to religious ideas, when you're talking about a religious environment that doesn't let you question or criticize those beliefs. The Latin word for "teach," doctrina is the root of indoctrinate, and originally that's just what it meant."

Please tell me what is objectionable about that terminology. It seems like you're purposely being obscurantist and nit-picky to avoid a closer examination of the ideas and practices you fine perfectly acceptable. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. That's the point of discussion, to figure out who has the more rational, humane point of view.

Angel,
I would tell God, "I've heard a lot of conflicting ideas about you. Nice to finally meet face to face. My name is Sean. What's yours?"

Edited by pickup_shonuff, 22 June 2014 - 10:12 PM.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Why would you like us to lie to our kids? are you some sort of heathan? Would you want us to damn our kids to hell???????????????????????????????

Ok that was extreme. But do you get my point? Im not saying you want us to lie to our kids or damn them to hell, Im saying the way you worded was poor. It came across as you are just picking a fight-just like the above statement. Worthy, while we love free discussion-don't want our discussions turned into fights. Im not saying you can't-or shouldnt express your viewpoint. Im suggesting that you find a better way to word it. Just like my above statement would just pick a fight-your wording also is worded to pick a fight. You know what they say in real life-its not what you say, its how you say it. Well online-its both. Since we cant hear your voice we cant pick up the syntax, we can't see your body language, so how you word something, is very very important. I am offering you advice here my friend-you are welcome to take it or leave it.

please_pray_for_me

please_pray_for_me
  • Members *
  • 21 posts
I take your point but I'm honestly not sure how you would have worded my questions differently. And in that last thread, it's pretty clear "LadyC" was being needlessly antagonist simply because he/she did not appreciate my line of questioning, which I still think has thus far been fair and respectful and more importantly, crucial for all to ask themselves, especially those who portray a certitude about cosmic matters generally considered controversial or unknowable.

Edited by pickup_shonuff, 22 June 2014 - 11:34 PM.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Simple-heres how you say it.

"Should parents teach their kids about heaven and hell from a young age, or teach them about other religions as well" worded this way is neutral, non attacking, yet asks the same question. See what Im saying? it conveys the same question-in a non-antagonistic way.

And if you have a problem with a certain person, I suggest you take it up with them in private-or with the mods in private. 

please_pray_for_me

please_pray_for_me
  • Members *
  • 21 posts
You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to. I'll try to mold my style of writing to your liking but I'm still confused as to how that justified the deletion of the thread and not a simple instruction as the one you have kindly given me.

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

my friend, please understand this is a global forum for many different people to communicate. There are those, especially among whom register as nonbelievers, who come here only to provoke with no real interest to discuss. The history of Worthy speaks for that. Some even disguise themselves as Christians to promote their agenda under cover, believe or not.

Hence the low tress-hold for strict actions against any suspected motifs. Imagine yourself running a site like this. It's hard work, even without any sabotage which occurs as well. Don't take it personally. It's basically because of these reasons.

We do well, trying to see each other's view points. You say you've been into believing of some sort, but left that behind. Similarly many of us have been on other paths before coming to Christ. So understanding is there, let us exercise it too :) with respect, which is what I try to remind myself about often.

Otherwise, nice to have you here. Hope you will come to find the discussion with different people with different beliefs as fruitful as I have found them to be.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Threads often get closed here when they get out of control, that usually happens when things start to heat up between posters. Whether it be a discussion between unbelievers and believers or believers and believers, so it's not just you. We try to keep calm and composed here, even when someone begins to get on our nerves. And when that happens it's best to not post anything at all, no need to fuel the fire especially when we are Christians.

please_pray_for_me

please_pray_for_me
  • Members *
  • 21 posts
Thank you Diatheosis and Hall, I appreciate that.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts

Pickup_shonuff, 

**The outer Court is an area where we allow anyone who wishes to learn more about our belief to ask questions and learn.

If anyone is here thinking they can abuse the ToS they will have to change or consider another site. 

Worthy is a ministry that is more than willing to discuss scripture, but only in a respectful way.**

**Abuse of other posters is not allowed.

This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, and threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster.**

**Debate the subject, not the person.**

**This site is very open to discussion. What is not accepted is teaching, breaking the TOS, nor a highly negative manner of posting.

If your threads have been "censored", it would be for one of those reasons only**

**If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private.

The moderation team serves this ministry on a voluntary basis.

They are human beings and make mistakes.

If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Repost Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)**

(I have also removed the link on your signature promoting your book , please do not post it again)

God Bless.

Nigel. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,990 posts

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to.

I'll try to mold my style of writing to your liking

but I'm still confused as to how that justified the deletion of the thread

and not a simple instruction as the one

you have kindly given me.

~

Falsely Attacking Christian Parenthood Of A Bad Thing

And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children,

and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house,

and when thou walkest by the way,

and when thou liest down,

and when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Intending To Rip The Children From Their God

And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea. Mark 9:42

What's There To Be Confused

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Matthew 7:15

About?

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 1 Peter 5:8

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,609 posts
Shalom Pickup_shonuff,

You say you joined this forum "to try and understand Christians better, to foster more civilized discussion in myself (knowing I could get banned for "cussing" is a good way to keep my *** in line), and to perhaps form a common ground by which we can work together for the betterment of the world.", yet your words you have posted here do not show this at all. Instead of trying to "relate to their mindset better, and hopefully, my brother eventually... I don't think it will be a successful endeavor.", you decided to "take calculated jabs and have fun." as one of the posters on Atheist Forums suggested and you agreed to. Your double-mindedness allowed for more dishonesty as you tried to tip-toe around topics designed to prove your point instead of truly trying to understand.

Your brother is right, you are intolerant of those who find God real and His words true. It is a shame you did not follow your first intention, to understand Christians better. It is unfortunate, for you, that you came here with the mindset to disprove certain ways of life, as teaching our children about God so you could understand. Instead, you demean the whole idea right out of the gate just in how you phrased your opening statements.

If you search your forum you will see that you are not the first to come to our site. We have had groups come from your site to "take calculated jabs and have fun", some respectful, others not. I expect more to come in the future. On your site, you are free to express yourself in any manner you wish, and you do. As you poke around reading other sites to decide where to go and what to do while you are there, it seems you forget that we also can poke around your site to find the truth behind the spurious personality you try to create.

It really does not take much to discover when someone is being deceitful. You may call it bogus, but the Holy Spirit does witness with our spirit about your spirit. I know you don't believe this, and in all honesty, you don't seem to want to even understand this, but when you do come to the point where you have to accept the truth, as we all will stand accountable before God, he is not going to accept your excuse for not looking for Him yourself because you did not like what you saw or heard in others.

True learning begins with an open mind to accept things contrary to your initial belief. Without an open mind, you will never grow out of the small box you have created for yourself, one that is sealed by your own pride and arrogance.

I do hope that you listen to your brother and stop fighting. As you say, we make him look like Einstein. Surely you would listen to Einstein. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain. I also hope that you remove your blinders and find a different place to hang out. How are you expected to grow when you have so many around you encouraging you to not believe in "fairy tales" and the "big bad Satan wolf!". You call us ignorant when you refuse to learn yourself ...

Have a good life, the next doesn't look so good for you.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Patriot, you object to me using the word sickly but do you object to your fellow Christians asserting that children need a doctor for their souls? What does someone who needs doctor imply? It implies someone is sick. And what's wrong with the word "indoctrination"?

"Indoctrination often refers to religious ideas, when you're talking about a religious environment that doesn't let you question or criticize those beliefs. The Latin word for "teach," doctrina is the root of indoctrinate, and originally that's just what it meant."

Please tell me what is objectionable about that terminology. It seems like you're purposely being obscurantist and nit-picky to avoid a closer examination of the ideas and practices you fine perfectly acceptable. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. That's the point of discussion, to figure out who has the more rational, humane point of view.

Angel,
I would tell God, "I've heard a lot of conflicting ideas about you. Nice to finally meet face to face. My name is Sean. What's yours?"

When you stand before God,He is going to ask you why you rejected His Son and why you wish to follow your own foolish way ,do you mind where you go after you die? Eternity is a long time. Your parents brought you up with the gospel,are they still alive? Sean I hope you turn back soon to God before there is no more time. Now is the day of Salvation! 

Ps.22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network