christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Communication - Main Ingredients?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

I've been thinking a lot about communication lately. For there to be good communication between spouses, relatives, friends, acquaintances, (or even people online! :) ) it is necessary not only to be understood but also try to understand the other person.

So here goes the first question on communication:

What are the main ingredients of good communication?

alphaparticle

alphaparticle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

I think this depends quite a bit on the person you want to communicate with, and what the subject matter is. Trying to understand their points and perspective, more generally where they are coming from, on what the topic is is likely universally true though.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,937 posts
I started a list, but it got too long. Can you narrow down what part of communication you want to begin with, listening or speaking?

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

The first ingredient should be "Listerine" for some fresh minty breath (in ones communications)

After that I'm stuck, I havent the slightest clue lol

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

I started a list, but it got too long. Can you narrow down what part of communication you want to begin with, listening or speaking?

Either one brother. Both are important. How about listening to start off? Or if you'd rather we could talk about speaking? :thumbsup:

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

Particularly for spouses, relatives, and friends... These 3 stand out to me...

1. Time – Being together is the first step. Enjoying each other’s company, learning to like the things the other person likes, etc.
Ecclesiastes 3:1, 7a
"To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven… A time to keep silence, And a time to speak.

2. Confidence – Love is a beautiful thing. I’ve seen my wife blossom as we have grown together in our love. Love inspires confidence and drowns out fears.
1 John 4:18
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love…”

3 . Transparency – Being honest with one another is important. Speaking the truth in love is also important. Sharing each others joys, heart aches, successes, failures, etc. is all a big part of good communication.
Ephesians 4:15
"But, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ.”
Prov. 10:10
"Whoever winks with the eye causes trouble and a babbling fool will come to ruin.”

Thoughts?

God bless,

GE

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

This is mainly for friends

1.Talk about the other person and not about yourself.

2.Know what to avoid.

3.Find out about their interests and hobbies.

4.Bring up family.

5.Offer a genuine compliment.

6.Avoid only yes and no answers.

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

i think Respect is a big one. When one is texting or watching tv when your mate is trying to talk.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Eph 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.

Brother Paul

Brother Paul

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Listening and not just waiting to talk...

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Amen.

Jas 1:19-20  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:  (20)  For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,542 posts

....good communication....

:thumbsup:

Good

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10

Communication

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

I think this depends quite a bit on the person you want to communicate with, and what the subject matter is. Trying to understand their points and perspective, more generally where they are coming from, on what the topic is is likely universally true though.

I would agree. Sometimes it's good to walk a mile in another person's shoes. Seeking to understand the other person's perspectives and points is universally true.  :thumbsup:

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

Eph 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.

That's a good verse. What exactly are you trying to say brother?

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

2.Know what to avoid.

4.Bring up family.

I think these are great Bo. :thumbsup:

Particularly the last one. I think it's very important to ask open ended questions and not just yes/no questions.

Example...
So how did the situation make you feel? (open ended)

vs

You felt sad right? (Yes/no)

Is that what you're talking about BO?

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

i think Respect is a big one. When one is texting or watching tv when your mate is trying to talk.

Yes, that is true Desi. I would agree with you. Mutual respect is important. :thumbsup:

Not giving the person your full attention and "multitasking" can be a significant hindrance to perceived respect.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

This can be a bad habit for sure. Sometime we formulate our responses in our minds before actually listening and paying attention to what the other person is saying. Is this what you mean?

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,642 posts

2.Know what to avoid.
4.Bring up family.

Particularly the last one. I think it's very important to ask open ended questions and not just yes/no questions.
Example...So how did the situation make you feel? (open ended)
vs
Except if you are giving evidence in court. Yes and no answers can be very effective. I have driven defense attorneys mad by not volunteering anything except yes and no answers.......

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

That's a good verse. What exactly are you trying to say brother?

What I'm saying is..

it is necessary not only to be understood but also try to understand the other person.

:wink1:

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

2.Know what to avoid.
4.Bring up family.

Example...So how did the situation make you feel? (open ended)
vs
Except if you are giving evidence in court. Yes and no answers can be very effective. I have driven defense attorneys mad by not volunteering anything except yes and no answers.......

Lol brother true. But I think we're talking more on practical terms with those who we love. At least that is what I was hoping for.

i.e. spouses, relatives, friends, and even ppl online.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network