christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new to here,am I going to hell? scrupulosity/OCD

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

boywonder123

boywonder123
  • Members
  • 9 posts
I would really appreciate if you read my story and helped me out please guys,I'm new to this.

Basically 2 years ago I got OCD,it started of with me obsessing about a fear,literally 24/7 and from then that's when a life with OCD started.my illness drove me to god and I got saved back then.but since then I've always doubted my salvation,which is another obsession j guess,which falls under scrupulosity which is Scrupulosity is a psychological disorder characterized by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues. It is personally distressing, objectively dysfunctional, and often accompanied by significant impairment in social functioning.[1] It is typically conceptualized as a moral or religious form of obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD),[2] although this categorization is empirically disputable."

I fear hell as well,have dreams about it and also anxiety attacks..even dreams.I'm so worried.

The worst part about scrupulosity/ OCD is that it's created an image in my head of god,when I something good or bad,my anxiety relieves or increases, depending on whether I've done good or bad,this makes it real hard because I can't think of god in ny head without these thoughts,its horrible.but I'm always fixed on Christ.

I'm just wondering,if I can't picture god properly in my mind,will god send me to hell? Even though I'm trying to think of him? Also when I think of things,let's say in the garden of Eden,god was walking..I just imagine big feet or something,which obviously probably isnt god.sometimes when I try to think of god when I'm praying I get images of the sky? Etc..does god not allow those prayers? Does he discount them,even though I'm trying to get to him,I mean now I just fix my mind on Christ.will god send me to hell? For picturing him wrongly,I don't think I can help it tbh.but I know god doesn't look like that in my mind? I'm confused..but I know gods not the author of confusing!

I'm saved,but also having OCD its hard to even tell when JTS the holy spirit,when I start to look at a women wrongfully I feel bad,I know that's the holy spirit.but my OCD makes it worse,adding me guilt feelings etc.

Every time I'm trying to talk to people about Christianity I get this god image in my head,that he's happy with me or unhappy with me,which is horrible.

I follow the god of Israel,the god of the bible.when I get judged and god asked me "why would I let you in" I'd say "because of that guy.. You're son!"

Also I have a bit of a religious side which I repent for,this side of me is abit reliant on my works,when I know works won't ever get me to heaven.OCD is making me even doubt that.

Its torture.

alien224

alien224

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
Continue to take your meds and read your bible and pray. I will pray for you also. God loves you through your weaknesses and will give you strength and peace of mind. Blessings and welcome to Worthy.

boywonder123

boywonder123
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Hi,thanks for the reply.I just always feel like god treats me different, even though that's contrary from the bible.

Adsy86

Adsy86
  • Members
  • 46 posts

if you accepted Jesus as your saviour and you walk on his path, that's all you need because you're set

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

God loves you. He is not going to send you to Hell because you picture him wrongly or because you have attacks of guilt about things you have done. You have an illness that is causing these problems, that's all. You're a believer so you're fine.

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 10:13

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Hi boywonder123 What Courage You have. From this short letter even i feel Love for You.. Can You magine how much Our Heavenly Father Loves You.. i cant begin to imagine.   What you feel deep down inside that bit of You that wants to be forgiven. That is All  God sees He doesnt see all the rest. Have You accepted Jesus as your Personal Saviour?

boywonder123

boywonder123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Hi boywonder123 What Courage You have. From this short letter even i feel Love for You.. Can You magine how much Our Heavenly Father Loves You.. i cant begin to imagine. What you feel deep down inside that bit of You that wants to be forgiven. That is All God sees He doesnt see all the rest. Have You accepted Jesus as your Personal Saviour?

Thanks for the reply! Yes I have 2 years ago,I'm just paranoid I'm going to hell lol

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

What do you find is most helpful for you? Do you get Comfort from talking about it?

Edited by countingsheep, 13 July 2014 - 01:30 PM.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,104 posts

Welcome~!

~

:thumbsup:

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalms 103:12

Praying~!

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

You are safe Jesus will look after you I will Pray that you feel better keep up your Medication and or Counciling and talk to us any time

Praise Jesus

B3L13v3R

B3L13v3R

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Hi  boywonder123, welcome to Worthy! :)

Quote post #3: boywonder123: "Hi,thanks for the reply.I just always feel like god treats me different, even though that's contrary from the bible."

1Jo 3:18-24
(18)  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
(19)  And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
(20)  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
(21)  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
(22)  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
(23)  And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
(24)  And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

As we grow in Christ, contrary thoughts become less, as God becomes more.
Continue reading the Lord's Word, prayerfully asking Him to help you grow in Him and His Truths found in the Bible.

Rom 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Psa 119:103-105
(103)  How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
(104)  Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
(105)  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Great to see you were Born Again in Jesus Christ two years ago from your post #7! :)

Continue to love God first in all things!

boywonder123

boywonder123
  • Members
  • 9 posts

What do you find is most helpful for you? Do you get Comfort from talking about it?

Talking about it is good,I'm not taking any medicine or counselling though.

Kevin1971

Kevin1971
  • Members
  • 14 posts

I would really appreciate if you read my story and helped me out please guys,I'm new to this.

Basically 2 years ago I got OCD,it started of with me obsessing about a fear,literally 24/7 and from then that's when a life with OCD started.my illness drove me to god and I got saved back then.but since then I've always doubted my salvation,which is another obsession j guess,which falls under scrupulosity which is Scrupulosity is a psychological disorder characterized by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues. It is personally distressing, objectively dysfunctional, and often accompanied by significant impairment in social functioning.[1] It is typically conceptualized as a moral or religious form of obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD),[2] although this categorization is empirically disputable."

I fear hell as well,have dreams about it and also anxiety attacks..even dreams.I'm so worried.

The worst part about scrupulosity/ OCD is that it's created an image in my head of god,when I something good or bad,my anxiety relieves or increases, depending on whether I've done good or bad,this makes it real hard because I can't think of god in ny head without these thoughts,its horrible.but I'm always fixed on Christ.

I'm just wondering,if I can't picture god properly in my mind,will god send me to hell? Even though I'm trying to think of him? Also when I think of things,let's say in the garden of Eden,god was walking..I just imagine big feet or something,which obviously probably isnt god.sometimes when I try to think of god when I'm praying I get images of the sky? Etc..does god not allow those prayers? Does he discount them,even though I'm trying to get to him,I mean now I just fix my mind on Christ.will god send me to hell? For picturing him wrongly,I don't think I can help it tbh.but I know god doesn't look like that in my mind? I'm confused..but I know gods not the author of confusing!

I'm saved,but also having OCD its hard to even tell when JTS the holy spirit,when I start to look at a women wrongfully I feel bad,I know that's the holy spirit.but my OCD makes it worse,adding me guilt feelings etc.

Every time I'm trying to talk to people about Christianity I get this god image in my head,that he's happy with me or unhappy with me,which is horrible.

I follow the god of Israel,the god of the bible.when I get judged and god asked me "why would I let you in" I'd say "because of that guy.. You're son!"

Also I have a bit of a religious side which I repent for,this side of me is abit reliant on my works,when I know works won't ever get me to heaven.OCD is making me even doubt that.

Its torture.

You are not going to hell.  God loves you.  Be mindful of your medications and have trusted family and friends that can observe you without judgement to give you honest and loving feedback if they see you obsessing.  Also, be careful of what church and partioners you associate with.  If they are the fire-and-brimstone variety, I would stronly suggest you detach yourself from them.  These, and I am sorry if I offend anyone here, are not what I recognize as those of true Christian faith.  It is not of Christian inspiration for them to be focusing on Satan and the hell.  Christ came as a victor and already won your salvation brother!  You are free from the bondsman's chains!  Praise God!  No looking back; only forward to great victory through Christ Jesus your loving Savior, a lion-hearted warrior and victorious defender of his sheep!  The only ones dispatched into the abyss are those demons that come to try to nibble at you, but heed them no attention and laugh in the reassurance that theirs is a false power of nothing more than lies and illusions.  If you feel doubt, immediately focus on Christ and feel his presence and praise God and know that those lies of the devil only are aimed at those who are in God's fold.  You're with Christ--now and forever.  Never forget that--and you know in your heart of heart that is the truth.  So take comfort brother.  There is genuine reason to be reassured and be uplifted, for your soul already has an assigned seat with the Kingdom of God, and unlike, say, Delta or United airlines, there's no bumping you off that seat!  :)

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts
Welcome to Worthy!!

boywonder123

boywonder123
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Hi,guys thanks for you're words and all! I also pray that you guys help me escape my anxiety please.

Macs Son

Macs Son

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Its torture.

Hi Boywonder,
We were all sinners who fell short of the glory of God so there was never anything in ourselves that makes righteous before God Almighty. In fact it is the knowledge of our clear inability to see ourselves as worthy before our Holy and Loving God that brings us to our knees where God can embrace us. Remember the story about the Pharisee and the sinner? Who walked away justified according to Jesus?

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

We are saved by the great and loving mercy of the Lord who shows his compassion on us. When we call out for His mercy in the desire to be His child He gives us grace. Now grace is not earned but it is given as a free gift and this because the Lord is gracious and kind. It is His kindness that leads us to repentance.

Replace all the pronouns with your own name and read this passage

By Grace Through Faith
1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

None of us are great or good enough to do the works of God but our Loving Father has seen fit to take us like little children by the hand and lead us in His will and be assured that includes you.

May Christ be in you and empower you with His love and grace, Pat

john14:6

john14:6

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
boywonder,

I don't have OCD but I understand the anxiety anyone suffers because of doubting salvation. I spent many miserable years as a young adult who lived in fear because I didn't know if I was saved, and I thought that I would never know "for sure" that I was saved. The misery was so bad that it affected every aspect of my life from family to my job. If you are interested in reading how God brought me out of that miserable time into a lasting peace of knowing "for sure" without a doubt that my sins are forgiven and my eternity is secure in Jesus then I invite you to read about my struggle with doubting salvation in the post at the link below.

http://www.worthychr...lieve-in-jesus/

Others here have given you excellent advice.

Hope you can find the same peace I found.

John

countingsheep

countingsheep

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Hi again boywonder123 I know God can heal you and  we all, as Christians at times come under attack, sometimes we go through terrible frightening places, But hold on let Jesus guide You through and You Will come out so much stronger I Pray that Gods Will be accomplished in You and that he be Glorified in you as a Testament to his Mighty Works in us all.

Praise Jesus

Cog

Cog
  • Seeker
  • 72 posts
Hello, boywonder123.

It sounds to me like you already know what is wrong, so just stop doing it.

lol, I'm teasing, I know it's not that easy...

Seriously though, to give you a more exact understanding: What you've done is started to judge and fear your very own thoughts, and you can't do that or you will damage, and could even splinter, your psyche. Instead, when you think a bad thought, just say no, and move on, but more importantly, do not fear that you thought something bad because there is nothing you can do to escape having bad thoughts -- just know that they happen and you should not fear them.

However, do not confuse me saying do not fear bad thoughts as me saying that you should act on a bad thought - no, it is just the opposite -- stop acting on them - don't act them out and don't fear them... Just ignore them.

Since you are a thinker, or someone who thinks a lot, spread out your thoughts. That is, try to spread out the obsession little by little and over time you will not obsess over one thing, and so you will no longer be "obsessing" -- you will just be thinking.

And of course, pray and give praise to God for his help, but don't be obsessive with prayers either. Matthew 6:7

Edited by Cog, 14 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network