christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baptism

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Israel, prophecy, eschatology, Christ, economics, watching, praying, Bible

I have a 8 year old and a 6 year old they both want to be baptized. Should I baptize them?

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts
  • Interests:Archery, painting, plants and animals, Medieval history

If they want to be and they know what it entails. I'm sure that a 6 year-old is old enough to want to accept Jesus. Besides child baptism does no harm even with very small children. It's just that with babies and infants they are not old enough to understand.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,792 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

I have a 8 year old and a 6 year old they both want to be baptized. Should I baptize them?

Baptism is an ordinance commanded to believers who have received Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior.  Baptism is a testimony that one has placed his or her faith in Christ.  Have they made a public profession of their faith in Christ?

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Water baptism is a religious ritual that is not needed. To be saved, one must have faith that Jesus is Lord and God in the flesh. Romans 10:9.

In my honest opinion, it's very rare for a child to do this until they reach adulthood. But I'm not one to judge so...

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

Water baptism is a religious ritual that is not needed. To be saved, one must have faith that Jesus is Lord and God in the flesh. Romans 10:9.

In my honest opinion, it's very rare for a child to do this until they reach adulthood. But I'm not one to judge so...

If one is saved, one has declared that Jesus is his/her lord......   Jesus told us to be baptized....    it may not be needed to be saved, but if you are saved you'd better do as your lord says and be baptized.  It's a dangerous teaching to say that it is not needed....    people might get the idea that one doesn't ever need to be baptized.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,792 posts
  • Interests:Israel Advocacy Bible Study, Apologetics, Theology, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Birdwatching, BBQing

No it is not a religious ritual.  It is an ordinance that Jesus commanded us to do.   It is needed because it is an act of obedience to the Lord.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,610 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied. Any technology with blinking and flashing lights, no matter what it does...

No it is not a religious ritual.  It is an ordinance that Jesus commanded us to do.   It is needed because it is an act of obedience to the Lord.

Amen, and if the kids have not given their lives to Jesus, and don't know what they are actually doing just yet. Wait until they do.

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Israel, prophecy, eschatology, Christ, economics, watching, praying, Bible

I believe we should be baptized!

Acts 2:38 says, "and Peter said unto them, `Reform, and be baptized each of you on the name of Jesus Christ, to remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"

Matthew 28:19, 20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

Acts 8:35-38 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.”
Acts 16:31, 33 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.”

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

They understand sin and repentance. They want to be baptized. They have given a declaration of faith in Christ. They believe they are to follow Christ with all of their hearts and can articulate this with sincerity.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,792 posts

I believe we should be baptized!

Acts 2:38 says, "and Peter said unto them, `Reform, and be baptized each of you on the name of Jesus Christ, to remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"

Matthew 28:19, 20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

Acts 8:35-38 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.”
Acts 16:31, 33 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.”

I agree, but baptism is for believers.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,792 posts

They understand sin and repentance. They want to be baptized. They have given a declaration of faith in Christ. They believe they are to follow Christ with all of their hearts and can articulate this with sincerity.

Well then you need to talk it over with your pastor.  He will need some assurance that your kids are believers and are qualified as candidates for baptism

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Where does Jesus say water baptism is a requirement for faith salvation.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Where does Jesus say water baptism is a requirement for faith salvation.

Do you believe we are bound to follow Jesus's commands once we are saved?

Mark 16:15-16
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
NASB

he who believes and is baptized shall be saved......   if you don't believe then baptism has nothing to offer for you are already condemned.   If a person says he believes but does not get baptized, does he really believe.....   has that person made or allowed Jesus to the his/her Lord....

It's very dangerous to preach non baptism is safe.

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

The assistant pastor said it is okay for a believer to baptize a believer and there was no requirement to baptize or be baptized as long as it was understood.

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Mark 16:16 says, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." Whether one can be saved without baptism... we are certainly supposed to be baptized.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Mark 16:16 says, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." Whether one can be saved without baptism... we are certainly supposed to be baptized.

if a person says he believes and is not baptized, does he/she really believe?

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
NASB

he who believes and is baptized shall be saved......   if you don't believe then baptism has nothing to offer for you are already condemned.   If a person says he believes but does not get baptized, does he really believe.....   has that person made or allowed Jesus to the his/her Lord....

Following his commandments and being baptized by water are two different topics.

I'm referring to water baptism, not faith baptism.

Water baptism does not save you, only Jesus does by Grace through faith.

Matt 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

NASB

Following his commandments and being baptized by water are two different topics.

I'm referring to water baptism, not faith baptism.

Water baptism does not save you, only Jesus does by Grace through faith.

Matt 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

I didn't say that is saves you, what I said is that if you are saved, you will do the things Jesus told us to do and he did tell us that we should be baptized and I do think it is talking about water baptism if you read the whole paragraph.

People can get saved and go to heaven if they don't have time to get baptized, but if you refuse to be baptized or just decide it's not necessary then you are not doing what Jesus told us and you are not letting him be your Lord and you are not saved.

Baptism is an act of obedience that if missing puts a serious question as to whether salvation happened at all.

dscapp

dscapp

Members*

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

and he did tell us that we should be baptized and I do think it is talking about water baptism if you read the whole paragraph.

that we should be baptized in water? Where in the paragraph does it say that.

faith pleases God

faith pleases God

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

and he did tell us that we should be baptized and I do think it is talking about water baptism if you read the whole paragraph.

that we should be baptized in water? Where in the paragraph does it say that.

Acts 8:36-38New International Version (NIV)

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” [37] [a] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

We are to be baptized with water.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network